PDA

View Full Version : Too soon for shrimp?

jasond
02-23-2008, 01:49 AM
I would like to get a cleaner shrimp or two, but my tank has only been up for about 4 months, is that established enough with the LR for them to find food? Tank is 60 gallon, about 60lb of LR.

Also, without dripping what is the best way to slowly acclimatize these guys? I have read they are real sensitive to changes, and dont want any casualties!

Thanks,

Jason

Brent F
02-23-2008, 01:59 AM
I added shrimp a week after my tank finished cycling (about 4 weeks total).

I used an airline hose with a valve to create a slow drip.

DanG
02-23-2008, 02:15 AM
as long as you have low nitrates and no ammonia, you should be fine.

I've got a cleaner shrimp, he scavenges what he can find and is usually very quick to come out come feeding time. He eats flake, mysis, cyclopeeze.

mark
02-23-2008, 02:19 AM
4 months with LR, that's lots of time.

Check the bottom here (http://www.jlaquatics.com/static/acclimation.htm) for acclimatization.

jasond
02-23-2008, 04:33 AM
Thanks guys, the LFS told me 6 months, but I figured my tank was fine. I am looking forward to having some of these guys in the tank as the look pretty interesting when kept as pairs or more.

I will try that drip method out. I think it is the safest bet.

banditpowdercoat
02-23-2008, 03:49 PM
6 months, sure they never said 6 weeks??

sharuq1
02-23-2008, 08:04 PM
My guess is some stores are more conservative than others. In the old addage "nothing good ever happens in a reef tank"-- The one person I met at a lfs in Calgary that said that meant that the tank would not be fully stable till then. Perhaps this is what that person meant also. However just because it isn't fully stable doesn't mean you can't start adding things. Really you can't go wrong if you go slow. A shrimp, snails, cleaners and such :) Sounds like you are doing a great job, and four months of waiting, you deserve to see something move in that tank. I applaud your patience!! :mrgreen:

jasond
02-23-2008, 08:30 PM
It was for sure 6 months, he said until it was established, but I think I am safe now by the sounds of things.

I do have fish. Not a lot mind you, just no invertebrates, emily just picked up my urchin and he was the only one I had! I found in my 20g my hermit crabs never lasted, which might have been because it was harder to keep water params steady with evap.

Anyways, really looking forward to getting a couple shrimp, I think they are a must have!!

hecks220
02-23-2008, 11:32 PM
jasond, those shrimp are scavengers. they will rob food from their children, that's how relentless they are!

EmilyB
02-23-2008, 11:41 PM
Having seen your beautiful tank, I know they would be just fine, and your fish will be so happy ! :biggrin: Make sure they bag them separately, and with a piece of something in the bag to cling to, and they will arrive home less stressed. I'm sure your fish store knows this anyway !

jasond
02-24-2008, 01:08 AM
Having seen your beautiful tank, I know they would be just fine, and your fish will be so happy ! :biggrin: Make sure they bag them separately, and with a piece of something in the bag to cling to, and they will arrive home less stressed. I'm sure your fish store knows this anyway !

Thanks Emily! I will make sure they are bagged as you said to keep them as happy as possible, hopefully I can pick some up this week. How is the urchin liking his new home?

EmilyB
02-24-2008, 02:35 AM
He seems really happy, has been parked on a patch of green for a while now....:redface:

We are thinking he must be given some colored rocks or something to wear for Christmas...very beautiful white urchin !