PDA

View Full Version : Trouble with my pom pom crab

ElGuappo
02-22-2008, 05:41 PM
helo my pom pom has got a large peach colored bulb looking thing growing on it i just noticed late last night. i rarely see the guy . i would have taken a picture but it was like 4 in the morn and i wasnt in to using my flash. it almost looked like the inside of a emerald crab when they open their chest plate as itis on the underside at the bottom of the body. however ths is a growth of some sort i think (hard to tell)

ANYTHING PLEASE !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

andestang
02-22-2008, 05:46 PM
Packing around a cluster of eggs is all, my largest boxer has them everynow & then.

ElGuappo
02-22-2008, 05:52 PM
But its a single pom pom it would still produce eggs then? this is jsut a protetice layer for the eggs? if this is an egg sac(?) they wouldnt hatch due to not being fetalized ?

andestang
02-22-2008, 05:53 PM
But its a single pom pom it would still produce eggs then? this is jsut a protetice layer for the eggs?
Still will produce eggs, just will never get fertalized.

justinl
02-22-2008, 08:29 PM
female crabs can also store sperm for a period of time so if the crab is new, the eggs may be fertilized. Fertilized or not though, it doesn't really matter; it will just be food for the coral either way.

sounds like eggs to me too but without a pic we can't really tell you anything for sure. for all we know it could be a parasitic alien.

ElGuappo
02-24-2008, 01:54 AM
So can anyone tell what the pink sack on the belly is ?

Posting photos on my link they are alittle fuzzy however.

Look under inverts heading.

ElGuappo
02-29-2008, 03:31 AM
well it must have been eggs i havent seen him for awhile again but my sally lightfoot had a fist full of orange eggs in it mouth today....... the little bastard. are ppom pomm crabs asexual? i wsa thinking of picking up anohter with the hopes i might get 1 egg bi yearly to slip threw the cracks and survive.