PDA

View Full Version : MAG flake, Dowflake in Canada?

imisky
02-22-2008, 03:53 PM
hey guys, im just wondering is there a place in BC that anyone knows which sell those 2?

dowflake - calcium chloride
mag flake- magnesium chloride

im looking to get some in the future to up my newly preped water before using it as i am using IO and it has low levels of pretty much everything.

mr_alberta
02-22-2008, 04:17 PM
I think ChemMaster on the board here sells that.

Tangman
02-22-2008, 05:54 PM
that anyone knows which sell those 2?

dowflake - calcium chloride ---- Port Kells Building Supplies on 88 Ave. near 192nd in Langley

mag flake- magnesium chloride--- I use Epsom salts available at any drug store
Check out Randy's recipes http://www.advancedaquarist.com/issues/april2004/chem.htm

fkshiu
02-22-2008, 06:16 PM
Two Canreef vendors: ChemMaster and Bulk Reef Supply sell all the two-part supplements in bulk.

wetcoast
02-23-2008, 01:37 AM
Careful that your Dowflake is not made after December 2005 - as it has 7500x times the amount of bromine in it, which at this point in timeis is unknown on the effects for 2 part dosing regularly. Water changes should be fine apparently.

Magensium Sulfate (Epsom Salts) can accumulate as well - try to get a blend of Magnesium Chloride AND Sulfate. PM me, I know of sources to find it for under $2 a kg USP Food Grade locally.

littlesilvermax
02-23-2008, 02:17 AM
Careful that your Dowflake is not made after December 2005 - as it has 7500x times the amount of bromine in it, which at this point in timeis is unknown on the effects for 2 part dosing regularly. Water changes should be fine apparently.

Magensium Sulfate (Epsom Salts) can accumulate as well - try to get a blend of Magnesium Chloride AND Sulfate. PM me, I know of sources to find it for under $2 a kg USP Food Grade locally.

Good info, although I think the Dec 05 date might be wrong. That is the original estimate date, and DOW had since changed it to sometime in 06.............................IIRC.

I sell mine pre-mixed for $2.25 per lb.

iansfishy
02-24-2008, 04:38 AM
keep in mind that epsom salts (magnesium sulfate) and magnesium hexahydrate are two diffrent things