PDA

View Full Version : 30g+30g

LeeR
02-22-2008, 01:56 AM
I have decided to start a new tank. the display will be 3|8th in glass 24X12X24 (lXHXW).

It will have a 12X9X4 external overflow with 2 - 1in bulkheads for a herbie style drain.

For return I would like to use a Eheim Universal 1250 pump t`ed off to
2 - 1|2in returns drilled into the back wall of the tank.

If there is anything wrong with my drain and return please let me know because this is my first time making a tank with a sump.

My sump will be my old tank (link to old tank thread)
http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=34673
the display will be a large fuge and I will run my tunze nano doc for a bit of skimming.

LeeR
02-23-2008, 03:24 AM
anyone?

SeaSerpant
02-23-2008, 03:48 AM
sounds good, any pics?

untamed
02-23-2008, 05:06 AM
OK...it sounds fine to me. Since this is your first sump, keep the following in mind.

If you are going to push the returns through the back wall of the tank, ensure you have a check valve on the main return line because if you have a power failure the main tank will drain back through those lines into your sump.

That could reduce the water level in your main tank too low...and the sump may not be able to take that much volume and overflow.

I would consider going 'over-the-top' for your returns so that you are not 100% dependent on a check valve during a powerfailure. Check valves don't always work forever.

LeeR
02-23-2008, 06:14 AM
Dont have the tank made yet so no pictures. im really not totaly sure on the dimentions yet haha might not even end up being 60g

for return and power outage im having truble finding 1/2 check valves (I even work the canplas warehouse we supply plumbing parts for emco and all the local plumbing places for bc.) and cant find find one. would a 3/4 work or would that mess things up to much?

LeeR
02-23-2008, 05:48 PM
anyone know were i can get a 1/4 check valve? or if i can use a 3/8 on a 1/2 return?