PDA

View Full Version : need advice guys:)

kgb
02-20-2003, 02:10 AM
hey guys ok i know this has been asked a million times but i have some question
ok my 2 room mate just got a 45 gallon long tank and have a metal stand for it . they are looking for a good setup
they are thinking like 3 bags of sand from johnathon. they want to have a well stocked coral tank with fish (hard and soft corals)
i am wondering what they should get for skimming and lighting and all that

i would like to here what you guys would do because i know you all have good tanks.
also they were thinking of a sea clone skimmer
also if you have any second hand stuff you loooking to sell then they would be super happy

Jack
02-20-2003, 06:10 AM
Hey,

:shock: No Seaclone!

A deep sand bed might be an option, I'm not sure how much depth 3 bags will get you, aim for 4". That could be an effective biological filter for the whole tank. Sounds like you won't be having a sump so I would reccomend a good hang-on skimmer like the CPR Bak-Pak, look for one in the buy/sell they are usually easy to find for a decent price. As for lighting 2x55w PC would be fine for most softies or even go for a dual/single 175/250w MH hood for more light demanding corals. I would add 4 powerheads, a heater, and a 50lb box of Figi LR and you're set! Sorry if I missed anything but that should get you started.

Van down by the river
02-20-2003, 08:04 AM
I agree no seaclone!!

kgb
02-21-2003, 06:42 AM
whats seas clone

EmilyB
02-21-2003, 06:58 AM
zoos

kgb
02-21-2003, 07:43 AM
does this mean aooanthids and polyps?

EmilyB
02-21-2003, 07:46 AM
:lol: for your morning coffee break... :D

http://www.ozreef.org/reference/coral.pdf

Jack
02-21-2003, 08:00 AM
What are you on Em?! I dunno what she means...

Um, zoos would be zooanthinds/buttons polyps.

A Seaclone is a really crapy cheap skimmer that does not work, do not bother with one!

Samw
02-21-2003, 08:03 AM
zoos

You've lost me Em.

KGB, Seaclone is a hang on back skimmer made by Aqarium Systems. Considering they make good quality products such as Maxijets and Instant Ocean, it surprises me that they don't make good skimmers.

http://www.aquariumsystems.com/skimmers.htm

I recommend an AquaC Remora w/ Maxijet upgrade if you want a hang on back style of skimmer.

2x55W PC lighting is minimum but don't expect to be able to keep Acropora. I find that my bulbs get dim every 6 months when used 16 hours/day. I've only started keeping Acros alive consistently when I added another 96W PC to my 110W lighting system. Even then, not all acros maintained their color. However, I haven't lost any Acro frags nor colonies since adding the extra light. A few surprised me and actually colored up under the PC lights when they were previously under MH.

kgb
02-21-2003, 09:35 AM
ahh i get it now
also which is better 175 watts 10k pc or 175 watt 10k

StirCrazy
02-21-2003, 03:35 PM
I have a seaclone and for what it is it is a good skimmer.. I think the biggest problem is they say up to 100 gal tank on the box.. in reality I think it will only be efective for a tank that is 20 gal or less. you could get away with it on a 40 with a few modifications but I think it would just barly be enuf and why do you want to buy a new skimmer to mod? if you are getting it used and for about 20.00 then fine.

Steve

TANGOMAN
02-21-2003, 04:07 PM
"whats seas clones..." is that like "i sees dead people...?" :?
What is EmilyB on...? :? How many O's in zoo's...? :wink:

What are we talkin' about here... :? :lol:

Bob I
02-21-2003, 04:30 PM
"whats seas clones..." is that like "i sees dead people...?" :?
What is EmilyB on...? :? How many O's in zoo's...? :wink:

What are we talkin' about here... :? :lol:

Maybe Deb is on something. I would like some of that. :wink: Some of these cryptic posts are sometimes so hard to understand that a NORMAL person is unable to undestand them. So my point is why bother? We really want to help people, but in reality some of the questions may seem a bit silly. Now I confused myself. :oops:

AJ_77
02-21-2003, 05:23 PM
Maybe we should encourage Andrew (kgb) to use the excellent "Search" function on this and other reefing sites. There is days' worth of reading available on the topics he is referring to. This would supplement the excellent advice he is sure to get here, and give him the necessary background info to make sense of the answers he receives.
:D
In Emily's defense (does she need defending??) the reference to "zoos" is in answer to "need advice guys." It was This Thread (http://www.canreef.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=3307&highlight=zoos) that recently brought up the "zoos" thing. Should be clear as water to him, but he asks now, "what are zoos??" Missed the joke buddy - it was a good one, even if a little cryptic.
She then provides a link to a useful puzzle. What could be easier?
:D
A clear question is more likely to get a clear answer. Not to mention spelling... :roll: :wink:

Bob I
02-21-2003, 05:40 PM
make sense of the answers he receives.

A clear question is more likely to get a clear answer. Not to mention spelling... :roll: :wink:

Could I be more cryptic Alan :?: :?: :wink: :wink:

TANGOMAN
02-21-2003, 08:24 PM
What's cryptic ? :? Better yet, what's normal...?

AJ_77
02-21-2003, 09:03 PM
I have a seaclone and for what it is it is a good skimmer... Steve
Back to the topic at hand - I have a used Seaclone skimmer that has been "modified" by CanadianMan - this improved its performance considerably. If you wanted to start with this, just let me know. It needs a MaxiJet 1200 powerhead to run it, and might be a good starter skimmer for what your friends want to do.

I know it removed a good quantity of foam when it was last in use, and that was on a 90 gallon tank. :shock:

kgb
02-22-2003, 11:04 PM
ok well aj_77 i got another question. what do you think would be the best for lighting ? 2 x 175 watt MH or a 2 x 250 watt MH
but i am just asking so if i forgot anytrhing that i did the first time and wished i didnt do things :)
i am lost in my own mind dont mind me

AJ_77
02-23-2003, 12:32 AM
Lighting? OK, what are the measurements of the tank - LxWxH? Then we can give some options.

Cheers,

kgb
02-23-2003, 04:43 AM
it is 4 feet long , 18 1/2 inchs deep
and 1 foot 1/2 inch long

Quinn
02-23-2003, 05:55 AM
hmm funny that's exactly the same size as my sump (thanks tony).

i'd say they'd be fine with 175s, but i could be wrong. :)

Canadian Man
02-23-2003, 06:08 AM
At that depth I would say 175's would be probably fine in most situations.