PDA

View Full Version : Curious about Flatworm Exit

michika
02-18-2008, 10:41 PM
I've been reading up on QT & dipping measures for SPS and I keep coming across flatworm exit as a flatworm treatment.

Can anyone tell me if Flatworm Exit is still available in Canada? Does anyone use it in their QT proceedures?

fencer
02-18-2008, 11:29 PM
Yes Catherine
I got mine from Reef Shoppe. Lugols is cheaper to use but never tried Exit in QT. Good idea though.

mseepman
02-18-2008, 11:35 PM
Catherine,

The only place I know of that still sells it is OA. I just used it the other day on my tank and as long as you've got Carbon going, it should go okay. If you're treating your display and you think there are quite a few flatworms...be ready to siphon them out as they die rather than counting on the carbon to do the work for you.

Here is a good link to look at: http://www.melevsreef.com/flatworms.html

michika
02-19-2008, 01:08 AM
Catherine,

The only place I know of that still sells it is OA. I just used it the other day on my tank and as long as you've got Carbon going, it should go okay. If you're treating your display and you think there are quite a few flatworms...be ready to siphon them out as they die rather than counting on the carbon to do the work for you.

Here is a good link to look at: http://www.melevsreef.com/flatworms.html

I don't have flatworms, and I've never had them in my system before, but I want to make sure I never get them.

I only want to look at using the product as a QT procedure. Right now I do an interceptor dip, and I dip with Tropic Marin Pro Coral Cure, an iodine dip. With the recent proliferation of flatworms I want to make sure that I'm not introducing anything into my display.

What is Flatworm Exit? Anyone know the ingredients?

michika
02-19-2008, 01:12 AM
Sorry I should mention that I'm looking at coral eating flatworms, not regular flatworms.

Aquattro
02-19-2008, 01:34 AM
Sorry I should mention that I'm looking at coral eating flatworms, not regular flatworms.

My understanding is that this does not work on AEFWs

Chaloupa
02-19-2008, 01:40 AM
I agree with Reef_raf...never have I read that Flatworm exit works...it has been suggested many times but I have read MANY threads, and found real proof that it will work. I use TMPCC to dip all SPS and corals I add also...let me tell you this; TMPCC doesn't kill Monti-eating Nudis-they can survive in a very strong mix of this and SW....I do dip SPS in it and blow them off during the dip...BUT it only gets the adults, and you have to really make sure that you blow the coral off...and then you look for AEFW eggs...brown colored and hard to get off.... :cry:

Aquattro
02-19-2008, 01:43 AM
TMPCC

Sorry, been a long day. What is TMPCC?

Chaloupa
02-19-2008, 01:45 AM
TMPCC=Tropic Marine Pro Coral Cure...sorry:redface: long day and I was being lazy!

michika
02-19-2008, 01:59 AM
I've heard it works, and that it doesn't. I just don't know which to believe, hence the question. I'm starting to lean towards it being ineffective. I'm hunting through Reef Central, and through some other sites about people's QT procedures.

I guess I will just stick with TMPCC, Interceptor, QT, and a good magnifying glass. Anyone else have any suggestions for me to add to my QT procedure for coral, mainly SPS?

scumchug
02-19-2008, 02:25 AM
I agree with Reef_raf...never have I read that Flatworm exit works...it has been suggested many times but I have read MANY threads, and found real proof that it will work. I use TMPCC to dip all SPS and corals I add also...let me tell you this; TMPCC doesn't kill Monti-eating Nudis-they can survive in a very strong mix of this and SW....I do dip SPS in it and blow them off during the dip...BUT it only gets the adults, and you have to really make sure that you blow the coral off...and then you look for AEFW eggs...brown colored and hard to get off.... :cry:

I hate to hijack the thread, but its been mentioned.

What will kill Monti-eating Nudis?

michika
02-19-2008, 02:28 AM
I hate to hijack the thread, but its been mentioned.

What will kill Monti-eating Nudis?

Dip infested coral in Lugols (hit or miss too I hear), Yellow Coriss Wrasse (hit or miss again), and manual removal, as far as I know at least. There may be more options, but I haven't really looked super hard at these beyond QT measures.

michika
02-19-2008, 02:32 AM
I found this article useful awhile back too;

http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2007-09/eb/index.php