PDA

View Full Version : Reef-ready tanks: AGA, Oceanic or other manufacturer?

trilinearmipmap
02-20-2003, 12:25 AM
I am looking at either a 75 or more likely a 120 (48x24x24) reef-ready tank.

I know that Oceanic and AGA make good tanks. My other choices would include Inter-American or any other local/custom manufacturer.

Used is not a good option for me as I live out in the middle of nowhere, if I lived in Vancouver I would shop around for a used tank.

I am concerned about the AGA tanks having a plastic centre brace, I wouldn't want it to melt under the lights. (Planning on 2x250W metal halides plus or minus VHO actinic supplementation).

Any advice on which brand of tank would be best to go with? Also if there is a custom stand manufacturer people could point me to, I like the Oceanic stands but their canopy is inadequate (only 6" clearance, not enough to mount metal halides in).

Quinn
02-20-2003, 01:19 AM
as per what i've said in the other post regarding the 120 gal, i went with inter-american mainly because of the price and the proximity to my location. a custom 150 gal with starphire front, eurobracing and overflow from them is less than a 90 gal from AGA (based on the quotes i received). i went essentially with the best deal i could find. i was originally concerned about quality but i spoke to some other IA clients who assured me they were pleased with the results. when jonathan and i went to visit their factory, mitch (the boss) told me that if i wasn't happy, i wouldn't have to pay. i am also a believer in them, as they ship across north america. i requested a quote from an MO store in ontario and later found out their tanks come from IA.

one thing you may want to consider is no bracing, with extra-thick glass. i know of a few people who think this is the way to go, and there are certainly arguments in favour of it.

BCOrchidGuy
03-11-2003, 10:29 PM
SeaStar on Vancouver Island makes nice tanks WITH a center brace. You can get a 90 gallon tank for $200 in Vancouver, let me know if you need a phone number.