PDA

View Full Version : Is my starfish dead?

hecks220
02-18-2008, 05:14 AM
My red starfish has been stationary in one corner for the last few days. He is moving his tentacles. It has been in my tank for a month now. Never took any hand feedings. Starvation? Is it on it's way out? At what point would you remove him from the tank to prevent a water quality problem? Thanks...

Doug
02-18-2008, 02:20 PM
Moving to the reef forum for a better response.

and Welcome to Canreef

hillbillyreefer
02-18-2008, 02:52 PM
Every couple of weeks mine doesn't move for a day or two. It worries me a bit. Then after awhile away he goes again. Good luck.

reptile guy
02-18-2008, 03:49 PM
Turn him on his back and if he can't flip back over he's on his way out or doesn't move then he is dead

Black Phantom
02-18-2008, 05:11 PM
How established is your 45. Red stars need a lot of algae to survive. Try some chopped up mussels in the sand to see if it goes for that. It may be starving to death.

Black Phantom
02-18-2008, 05:15 PM
Another thing, Red Stars can't take sudden changes in oxygen levels, salinity or pH, and cannot tolerate copper-based medications. It should never be exposed to air while handling.
If you do a large water change you might be damaging it unless your water is exactly the same as the old.

justinl
02-18-2008, 05:20 PM
"red star" is a pretty generic term. what is it? a fromia? most stars are super sensitive and need a lot of space to survive on whatever it is they eat (for the most part we have no idea what they eat). A 60g is not enough imo especially if it isnt established (is it?). the problem with starving sea stars is that you can't tell... they literally die inside out. once you see it start to disintegrate, you can be certain it's already half past dead. This does not occur in the span of a month but it is something you should consider unless you feed it.

hecks220
02-18-2008, 06:39 PM
Thanks for the input people. This is a red sea star, or scientifically fromia linckia. My 46 is established, and i did acclimate him slowly and am very particular about the water parameters. It's diet is somewhat unknown, and feeding it scraps of meat was not effective. It is lying still next to the bubble tip anenome now for 3-4 days, but moves it's legs around periodically. I think it is paralyzed... My final question is this. Can an anenome sting and kill it? Thanks. Any emergency starfish first aid anyone knows about?