PDA

View Full Version : Allen's Damsel (pomecentrus alleni)

Matt
02-18-2008, 01:08 AM
Anyone keeping this fish? There are a few of them at Blue World in Edmonton, and they're a beautiful fish. Before I add one to my reef, does anyone have warnings or recommendations? What I've read suggests they're not very aggessive, and stay fairly small.

BTW, they're selling them as "electric damsels", but I think I've decoded it to this species... I should have taken a picture!

Matt

Pan
02-18-2008, 02:36 AM
Anyone keeping this fish? There are a few of them at Blue World in Edmonton, and they're a beautiful fish. Before I add one to my reef, does anyone have warnings or recommendations? What I've read suggests they're not very aggessive, and stay fairly small.

BTW, they're selling them as "electric damsels", but I think I've decoded it to this species... I should have taken a picture!

Matt
http://i.pbase.com/t1/35/576935/4/47285740.DPP_1183.jpg

Matt
02-18-2008, 05:34 AM
http://i.pbase.com/t1/35/576935/4/47285740.DPP_1183.jpg
What were you trying to say? That link gives:

Forbidden

You don't have permission to access /t1/35/576935/4/47285740.DPP_1183.jpg on this server.

Pan
02-18-2008, 06:18 AM
Just a hotlink to the a picture of on for you :) seems its dead now...my error.

tang daddy
02-18-2008, 10:05 AM
allens damsel great fish if you're adding more than one I suggest upwards of 5, they do kill eachother also best to add them all at once. Being a damsel they do carry the traits and can be agressive to smaller fish, typical behavior fin nipping body shaking and constant harrasing but again only to fishes it can dominate. I have it in my fowler for over a year now with great success but have tried to add 3 more and they all perished. In a reef tank it's iffy cause if you have smaller fish than it then they may feel uncomfortable with it's harrasment although it really depends on your livestock put it with bigger agressive fish and it dare not mess with them, my pseudo and him face off every now and then but nothing serious. One thing nice about this fish is the colours it's gorgeous the blue is satin and deep purple under different lighting and although alittle agressive it shows alot of character wish I could keep more than one.

fishoholic
02-19-2008, 12:17 AM
I saw them there and was wondering about them too. Beautiful colours on them.

Matt
02-19-2008, 01:59 AM
I bought one today. So far, it's getting pushed around a bit by our sixline and gramma. Interesting fish. It went flat gray when it was netted, and when I transferred it, but flashed back to full color right away. Very bright, flashy fish. All the web reading I found suggests it should be a good addition.

fishoholic
02-19-2008, 04:15 AM
I bought one today. So far, it's getting pushed around a bit by our sixline and gramma. Interesting fish. It went flat gray when it was netted, and when I transferred it, but flashed back to full color right away. Very bright, flashy fish. All the web reading I found suggests it should be a good addition.

Well now... you shouldn't go telling me these things, 'cause now I want one! :razz: