PDA

View Full Version : Picasso Trigger

dsaundry
02-17-2008, 09:17 PM
I am trying to find out some information on a Picasso Trigger fish. Will they eat mushrooms and leathers? I know they will eat anything they can pretty much get their mouths on, but I thought I saw a thread where a member had soft corals in with a Trigger..:question:
What about snails too?

dsaundry
02-17-2008, 10:55 PM
bump:biggrin:

dstasiuk
02-17-2008, 11:48 PM
I've been researching the same thing as I love triggers, too. From what I've read, only the Xanthichthys genus is safe (generally). That would be the Blue Throat, Sargassum or Crosshatch.

Some have reported sucess with Niger and Pink Tails, but it seems that it may not be a question of "if" they will eat something they shouldn't, but when...

That being said, I am hoping to add a Blue Throat to my reef this week :biggrin:

naesco
02-18-2008, 12:29 AM
bump:biggrin:

No they will eat all the inverts like snail, crabs in your tank.
It is also very agressive towards other inhabitants in your tank

dsaundry
02-18-2008, 12:41 AM
Hmm; I have a small Picasso in my 90g now, he is with the exception of one fish the smallest in tank. I know he wont stay small for long. I also heard that you introduce the Picasso last and you may not have a lot of problems as they will get really aggressive to anything added after.. Is this true? He is so far getting along with the other fish, havent seen any aggression to anything else as yet but I will monitor it closely. I removed my Ric's as I wasnt sure if he would take them out. :question:

naesco
02-18-2008, 01:31 AM
Hmm; I have a small Picasso in my 90g now, he is with the exception of one fish the smallest in tank. I know he wont stay small for long. I also heard that you introduce the Picasso last and you may not have a lot of problems as they will get really aggressive to anything added after.. Is this true? He is so far getting along with the other fish, havent seen any aggression to anything else as yet but I will monitor it closely. I removed my Ric's as I wasnt sure if he would take them out. :question:

Maybe because he is a baby. What are you going to do with him when get older?
See http://wetwebmedia.com/marine/fishes/triggers/index.htm
and
http://saltaquarium.about.com/cs/triggerfishcare/p/propicassotrigg.htm
and here
http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2002-08/dc/index.php

Wayne

robzilla
02-18-2008, 02:58 AM
i've had a picasso in my 90g and then a 120g. he was a large size, probably 6-7 inches and fat. pretty much anything he could get into his mouth was food. they also have a habit of rearranging rocks, shells.
but you are right, once they reach the right size, they become the tank boss.

EmilyB
02-18-2008, 06:42 AM
I have a black blotch trigger, very close relative and similar in appearance.

His name is Trig-No-Metric Function and he has been here 10 years. There are a few things he can't eat, I've found. But you will never have a pretty tank. :lol:

dsaundry
02-18-2008, 10:53 AM
It isnt a pretty tank now, I have kept it pretty spartan in appearance with some large and small pieces of rock. Plenty of rock to hide in. There is one mushroom rock which can be easily moved into another tank and a wide variety of snails. Most are larger snails and I guess if he picks them off every now and then ..ce la vie.
Having read the info supplied on this site and on the net, I currently have him in with a largeer Purple Tang, a Maroon Clown, and a Scribbled Rabbit fish. So far so good. With the exception of the Clown, the Trigger is the smallest. The Clown is very aggressive though and defends his [2] anenomes from anything, including me. I will be watching very closely and see what happens. I have another tank that the Clown can go in if it looks like he is going to get beat up.