PDA

View Full Version : Sump

Mattgesy
02-17-2008, 06:47 PM
what should you have in your sump as for media
foam? so on, or should you just leave it to the liverock?

surgeonfish
02-17-2008, 07:18 PM
I would consider using a filter sock. I took all the foam out as I think it can cause elevated nitrates.

TNTCanada
02-17-2008, 07:29 PM
Live rock and filter sock are great ideas... are you just keeping it a sump or sump / Refugium... so with lights and macro Algae???

Mattgesy
02-17-2008, 08:32 PM
i have no idea what the hell i am doing lol, i thought i read alot but i guess i didnt, i took all my foam out and i am now thinking of putting lights underneath to have a refugium/sump, so we will see what happens

TNTCanada
02-17-2008, 08:53 PM
Good thing to consider is finding someone in your area that has a lot of experience in the hobby and try and get them to mentor you and introduce you to other in the hobby in your area... you will get a lot of good advice and there are lots of reefers out there that I'm sure would love to show you their systems as well help you hands on... might want to throw a post out there under the Edmonton forum and see if you get any response...

mark
02-17-2008, 09:20 PM
The foam isn't necessary and doesn't hurt as long you keep it clean. Just a bunch of work for something that probably isn't doing much.

When I first set up the current tank had a 3" foam block in front of the bulkhead going to the pump. Part was dealing with micro bubbles (running ~2000 gph), part so I won't suck LR rubble into the pump and part to catch the detritus I could see in the sump. Eventually sorted out the microbubbles and detritus (filter socks and lowered flow) and replaced foam with eggcrating which I know isn't doing anything. Way nicer than rinsing the foam out once a week.

Mattgesy
02-17-2008, 09:31 PM
well i took out the foam peices in the sump right now, my tank went killer cloudy thank god it just liverock in there lol

mark
02-17-2008, 10:15 PM
Why cloudy? Was it bubbles, slits from the sand?

Mattgesy
02-17-2008, 11:09 PM
slits from the sand and it was all that livesand poop that i had in it