PDA

View Full Version : Anybody running a mix of carbon and phos remover in the same reactor?

bassman
02-15-2008, 05:22 PM
I curious as to which products are being used and the pros and cons of having both in the same reactor.

I am considering buying both products in bulk and would prefer to only have to run and maintain one reactor.

Thanks

Matt
02-15-2008, 06:58 PM
I'm not doing it, but I've read loads about it. Let me explain... no, no, there's too much. Let me sum up. (that for the Princess Bride fans out there).

The GFO-type (rowaphos, phosban) adsorbers should last longer than carbon before needing refresh. In any case, the GFO and carbon will have different useful lives. Running both at the same time isn't a problem, except you'll wind up changing one or the other sooner than needed.

If you do want to do that, make sure there's room in the reactor for the GFO to fluidize, then add a sponge or separator, then the carbon very loose in a media bag. That way, you can yank it out without disturbing the GFO.

Most people who want a carbon reactor add a second reactor in series behind the phosphate reactore, I think. It is pretty cheap, and makes maintenance simpler.

HTH,
Matt

bassman
02-15-2008, 07:27 PM
I was wondering about the difference in renewal times. I kind of figured one would be getting changed early.

I have two separate reactors running now I was just hoping to make some room and shorten my reator maintenance time by only having to clean one.

Thanks