PDA

View Full Version : New 20 Gallon Reef Tank

MMAX
02-15-2008, 03:33 PM
Hello, I'm a new member and this is my 1st post in here. I recently started a small marine tank after about a year with freshwater fish. I still have my 55 gallon freshwater tank but decided to start out with a small 20 gallon for salt. It's been running for about 2 weeks now and I have 6 pieces of live rock with 10 hermit crabs and 4 snails working overtime to keep them clean. I don't plan on overloading the tank with fish--Maybe 1 or 2 clowns with an anemone and a couple of cleaner shrimps. I'm just wondering if I should have more live rock.

jasond
02-15-2008, 03:45 PM
Welcome!

As for your LR, I think it depends. Some people go by 1 pound per gallon, others have quite a bit less/more, so lots of varied reports. The most important thing is keeping your parameters in check, so get yourself some test kits if you dont have some already.

Goodluck, lots of info and great people here!

Jason

mseepman
02-15-2008, 03:53 PM
Welcome to Canreef!

I agree with what Jason said, it's more important to watch your parameters than focus on the LR content because those parameters will tell you if you need to add more as the tank settles in.

Enjoy the tank...now that you've gone the SW road, you're in for an interesting ride!

MMAX
02-15-2008, 05:48 PM
I do have test kits. SG seems to be good, right around the 1.023-1.024 range, last night it looked the ammonia cycle was ending, just waiting for the nitrites to show up. pH is about 8 to 8.3.