PDA

View Full Version : purple up?

chevyjaxon
02-15-2008, 03:13 AM
ive heard of a product called purple up made by caribsea its supposed to be real good for live rock corals and just the overall water quality of a tank any thoughts or experiences before i buy this and start to use it?:wink:

dsaundry
02-15-2008, 03:45 AM
I use it and I love it..works well for me...:biggrin:

mr_alberta
02-15-2008, 04:38 PM
Looks like Purple Up is just a calcium suppliment geared towards growing coraline algae. I doubt it would do anything for other water parameters like Phosphates, Nitrates, etc etc.

Lance
02-15-2008, 05:17 PM
Quote from the bottle: (Unique dual method approach to coralline algae acceleration. 1. Ionic calcium: Immediately raises dissolved calcium levels in your aquarium water. 2. 10 micron aragonite: Targets the live rock surface, where it dissolves in situ, delivering calcium, strontium, magnesium, and carbonate right where it is needed. It also replenishes iodine.)
Hope that helps.

Shipwreck
02-15-2008, 05:20 PM
If you have good water quality and a little coraline on the rocks you will be scraping it off the glass in no time. If you want to do anything to improve your coraline as a local reefer to scrape some of their coraline off the glass into a bag then dump it in your tank.

Save your money and use it to buy a magnetic scraper to get rid of coraline instead.

bv_reefer
02-15-2008, 10:32 PM
i use it for calcium, it's great, quite potent though, and from what I see it's great for coralline growth, my back and side panels are smothered:mrgreen:

adidas
02-15-2008, 10:37 PM
i use it for calcium, it's great, quite potent though, and from what I see it's great for coralline growth, my back and side panels are smothered:mrgreen:

my back and side panels are covered and i've never dosed anything..its crazy

bv_reefer
02-15-2008, 10:58 PM
my back and side panels are covered and i've never dosed anything..its crazy

ya i gotta admit, i've been dosing calcium, alkalinity buffer, strontium, and all that stuff ever since i started

DanG
02-15-2008, 11:41 PM
I've used it for quite a while and been very happy with it. It works well and is well priced. Make sure when you buy it that it hasn't solidified on the bottom.

I did read something somewhere bad things can happen when you stop using it, but never found any truth to it.

chevyjaxon
02-18-2008, 01:35 AM
ok i bought the purple up how often should i dose it? my tank is only 5 weeks old any thoughts?

ElGuappo
02-18-2008, 02:24 AM
My tank is 5 monthes ole and i have been using since 1 monthe, the bottle says make sure you dont over use, i use half a capfull every 2 days on my 34 gallon. i actually just no more than 5 minute ago put some in my tank. if you are going to use this product i recommend putting into a very high flow portion of your tank. I put mine in inbetwwen my filter and powerheads so it gets dispersed appropriatly. Your rock will start turning color in under two weeks this is an incredible product for coraline algae. does not induce growth of any other algaes,

dsaundry
02-18-2008, 10:20 AM
Every couple of days is fine, just make sure you monitor your calcium levels, you can even do daily doses once you get your levels stabilized. Like dosing with anything it is a balancing act.

chevyjaxon
02-18-2008, 10:21 AM
i never bought a test kit yet is there another way that i can monitor levels?

dsaundry
02-18-2008, 10:56 AM
I dont think so, You really need to get a test kit, A calcium test kit is probably around 15-30 dollars and so far all I have used work ok so long as you follow instructions. :biggrin:

DanG
02-18-2008, 02:30 PM
Your best bet is to get a good calcium test kit (I really love the salifert Ca test kits).
Take a measurement, add one cap of purple up, wait about half an hour to make sure it's been spread around, then take another measurement. That will give you an idea how much one cap will raise your calcium. You don't want to raise it any more than 25ppm per day.
It's also a good idea to take a measurement about 24 hours after you dosed with it, just so you can get an idea how much calcium your system uses in a day.

adidas
02-18-2008, 07:07 PM
i never bought a test kit yet is there another way that i can monitor levels?

you can get digital moniters they are expensive.there is an American Marine pinpoint calcium monitor http://www.jlaquatics.com/phpstore/store_pages/product-info.php?product_ID=pp-mcal