PDA

View Full Version : i need a cheato(edmonton)

chevyjaxon
02-15-2008, 02:09 AM
i ve decided in order to bring up my water quality i should get a cheato for the sump does anyone know where i can get this? what exactly does a cheato do? how do i care for one?

mark
02-15-2008, 02:40 AM
Idea of cheato is it works as a nutrient sump, in that it will bind nutrients, then you harvest a portion and dump it. It grows fast so it may also out compete other algae.

Put it in your sump, doesn't need much light, I'm growing under 28W PC.

I've got some but it's in a QT tank. The fish that's in the QT been there ~2 weeks and no problems, but if you want some say in 2 weeks, it's yours.

chevyjaxon
02-15-2008, 02:55 AM
so i put it in the sump? when it grows too big i just yank some out and throw it away? will it grow under a 15 watt black light? thats what i use for the sump.

mark
02-15-2008, 02:28 PM
Pretty much can just put in sump but depending on your sump's layout, might need eggcrate partition or something so it doesn't get sucked into you pumps. Got a dedicate refugium now but when I first started was growing between my baffles after the skimmer.

The stuff grows in a mat and about every month, I split in half, shake out the pods and throw out.

For lighting would be needing a daylight spectrum bulb. If you can find them, the screw-in CF bulbs ~23W 6000K from HD/Cdn Tire seem to work.

mark
02-15-2008, 06:17 PM
Thread (http://216.187.96.54/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=36471&highlight=light) on ref lighting (with links) and the screw-in CF mentioned.