PDA

View Full Version : Need help Looking for Professional Movers

rdnicolas
02-14-2008, 10:15 PM
Hi I have a 350 gallon aquarium I want to move from a house in Calgary into my house in Edmonton. Does anyone have any contacts that will move aquariums?

Thanks

Reggie

Parker
02-15-2008, 05:03 PM
I had my tank moved by Two Amigo's moving here in Edmonton. It was a bit of a gong show though, so I can't really suggest them.

One thing I suggest is to make sure they fully understand what's involved and the kind of man power it will take. Also check to see if they will insure the tank. Some companies won't and if they do it will be an extra charge. They wanted to charge me 700 to insure it against breakage, which was more then I paid for the tank.

Good luck

Delphinus
02-15-2008, 05:15 PM
Good luck with that. I would think most movers would be a gong show actually.

Maybe try calling the aquarium shops or the builders themselves and ask what they recommend.

We ("we" being "a bunch of canreefers") hauled out a 300ish gallon tank (6' x 6') out of a fellow Canreefers basement onto a waiting van (Chin Lee and Seahorse-fanatic came out to Calgary from Vancouver to buy this tank). You should have seen the rig that Chin built for this tank. He built a wooden sled with rope runners that about 6 of us on each side could haul on (a little like two rows of sled dogs). This behemoth of a tank came out of that basement in very little time and without a ding on it.

I guess what I'm saying is I'd be kind of surprised if any professional movers would go to this extreme for moving a tank. They'd be like "Oh, it broke. Ok call the office and make a claim" and then they'd leave. Whereas if you could get a party together we might be able to do you better, course you'd kind of need two parties though, one for loading the tank in Calgary, one for unloading in Edmonton. I guess that makes it trickier to organize.

Good luck. If you do decide on the lifting party, I'll do what I can to help out. It's only fair, I've asked for help on many occasions on the board so I always try to pay the favour forward when I can .. :)