PDA

View Full Version : Anyone have Vanderbilts Chromis?

christyf5
02-13-2008, 11:47 PM
I just got a couple of these guys. They seem to have voracious appetites and they go after anything floating in the tank. However when it comes to feeding time they seem to mouth the mysis and then spit it out. I'd say they get 1-2 particles during feeding time that they actually swallow. They have no problem getting in there with the other fish to eat (ie. they're not timid) however what the heck do these fish eat if they're that picky? I also tried some cyclopeeze flake and that was a definite no go.

Any other ideas?

Big Al's BC
02-14-2008, 12:34 AM
Christy,
This is Grant at Big Al's. Vanderbilt Chromis, Chromis vanderbilti are a great schooling fish but dont generally feed on large foods. We import them from Tonga, Vanuatu and sometimes Hawaii. Generally they are in small groups in the wild compared to Green Chromis and other species. Usually they take to the smaller pieces of Brine Shrimp, in particular the Spirulina loaded Brine. good luck with them, those and the Indigos, Chromis opercularis are my personal favorites!

Big Al's BC

christyf5
02-14-2008, 12:37 AM
Hi Grant,

I was actually going to PM you guys as I got them from your Burnaby store :biggrin:

I did get them to eat some frozen cyclopeeze since its pretty tiny. I'll have to try to find some of the spirulina loaded brine locally.

Thanks for the info!!

Christy :)

marie
02-14-2008, 01:02 AM
:twised: I've had Wendell looking for these guys for the last 2 years....You have been looking haven't you Wendell??

albert_dao
02-14-2008, 02:19 PM
Don't keep them in groups is all I have to say. I had nine. They worked each other in a 75 even in the presence of a Fiji Blue Devil who did a lot of harrassing.

Big Al's BC
02-14-2008, 11:54 PM
Hi Grant,

I was actually going to PM you guys as I got them from your Burnaby store :biggrin:

I did get them to eat some frozen cyclopeeze since its pretty tiny. I'll have to try to find some of the spirulina loaded brine locally.

Thanks for the info!!

Christy :)

Christy,
Glad to provide some info. The ones you got were probably from Vanuatu. Glad to hear they are eating.:biggrin:

Big Al's BC