PDA

View Full Version : Mushrooms not doing too well....

jasond
02-13-2008, 06:07 AM
I have a piece of LR with a bunch of mushrooms on it. Before I switched tanks, say four months ago, they were doing great under pc light, fully opening and growing. Since the move, they have not done well at all. They are now under T5 lighting, but they are at the bottom, and sheltered from too much flow. Other corals in the tank seem to be fine, only the mushrooms are not doing well. They are shrivelled, pale, and almost look bleached. If a pic is necessary, I can take one tomorrow. I do keep on top of wc's, and water is in pretty decent condition.

Any ideas?

Thanks,

Jason (the only guy that cant keep mushrooms alive!)

Joe Reefer
02-13-2008, 02:42 PM
It sounds like the T5's are too much for the mushrooms. Try and move them to a shaded area, that might help.

jasond
02-13-2008, 03:53 PM
Thanks for the reply, I do have them shaded though, they are under a little arch, so the lighting has been cut right down for well over a month, with no improvement. Any other thoughts?

bassman
02-13-2008, 04:43 PM
Perhaps too shaded? Trying moving them out into the light and see how they do.

jasond
02-13-2008, 05:31 PM
No, because they went from being right under the lights (low) to more shaded, with no change at all which means it is not the lighting irritating it. It's got me beat!

I suppose I could move it to the other side of the tank, maybe it just doesnt like where its sitting???

BC564
02-13-2008, 07:55 PM
I have T5 lighting and lots of different types of mushrooms...and they are loving life.....so Im thinking its something else then lighting..

dsaundry
02-13-2008, 08:03 PM
I think I agree it might be something other than lighting. I have mine in a 72g at the bottom with 2x250w mh and 4 65w pc's, all doing well. After you move them it will take some time to adjust and respond to their environment. If they are in poor condition it may be too late, but I have seen mushrooms come back from deaths door.

jasond
02-13-2008, 08:27 PM
Ya I have no idea. I can post a pic if that will help. They dont appear to be dead, just not well. I will try another spot in the tank and see if that helps.

BC564
02-13-2008, 08:33 PM
do you feel your corals? do you feed your fish a mash of mysis and stuff?

super7
02-13-2008, 10:36 PM
try a little more light. I had this happen to a few mushrooms that I transferred from my 5G with PC to my 65 with MH. I put them in the shade and they didn't like it, went all white and shrivelly, moved them into a little more light and they opened up right away.
Super7

jasond
02-13-2008, 11:53 PM
try a little more light. I had this happen to a few mushrooms that I transferred from my 5G with PC to my 65 with MH. I put them in the shade and they didn't like it, went all white and shrivelly, moved them into a little more light and they opened up right away.
Super7

Interesting, I will give that a shot, thanks!

fishoholic
02-14-2008, 06:43 PM
Our mushrooms/ric's do this every now and then to. It's usually when we've moved them or changed the direction of the flow. In our case I believe chemical warfare is involved even though we are running carbon.

michika
02-14-2008, 07:09 PM
Can you tell us more about the flow? I know you mentioned that you had blocked them from too much flow. How much are they experiencing now?

jasond
02-14-2008, 07:25 PM
Hi Catherine, thanks for the reply. Right now they do get some flow, but there is a little arch in my rockwork, so I put them under that, on the sandbed. They do get water movement, but it is very light. Either way, it didnt change when I had it exposed to more flow, to now where it is more protected. I am going to try moving it out to a little more flow, and up just a little and see if more light helps at all. Strangely enough, I have a different type of mushroom that is doing OK....meaning it is open and growing, just quite slow (slower than healthy mushrooms). Somethings not quite right, I like these things and dont want to kill them!!

jasond
02-15-2008, 02:18 AM
OK I moved it up directly under the light...lets see if that helps!

fishytime
02-16-2008, 12:08 AM
What ever you do dont give up on them until you are 100% positive that they are gone. I have some green wagon wheel shrooms that when I dosed (what was told to me by a lfs) a reef safe ick cure, shriveled up and turned almost black.They were like this for a month or so. They since have made a full recovery and I am fraging them on a regular basis.