PDA

View Full Version : ICK I can't believe it

Skimmerking
02-13-2008, 03:02 AM
well once I got home I wsa watching my fish, the Kole tang and noticed he had some whoite spots on him ICK I can't speak where in the heck did he getthat from. the whole time that i had him over 2 years the fish never had any ICK on him. I bought him from Doug when he had his 170 gal. and now well :cry: I turned on the OZONE and feed him 3 pellets of Garlic with flakes to get rid ordrop the ick from him.. will let you guys know ho'w he doing tomorrow.

fishoholic
02-13-2008, 04:33 AM
That's odd, I know I thought I saw ick on my lavender tang once and it turned out that she had just been lying down in the sand bed and had specks of sand suck to her. :redface: I hope your fish gets better. Good luck, hopefully the garlic will help.

Delphinus
02-13-2008, 05:12 AM
Weird, anything new get put in the tank? Rock? Equipment?

Although I've had similar things with my fish that like fishoholic's, it turned out to be sand or something.

Anyhow good luck!

michika
02-13-2008, 03:11 PM
I have also mistaken ich for sand.

fishoholic
02-17-2008, 12:23 AM
That's odd, I know I thought I saw ick on my lavender tang once and it turned out that she had just been lying down in the sand bed and had specks of sand suck to her. :redface: I hope your fish gets better. Good luck, hopefully the garlic will help.

Ok so it's been a fews days since I thought there was only sand on my lavender tang however there seems to be more spots now and it's looking like it might be ick!!!! eeeeek! None of our other 5 tangs (or any of our other fish for that matter) have any spots on them? So I'm wondering why this one does. I think I might try to catch her and do a hypo salinity on her. My main fear is if my lavender tang is out of the main tank for a month while we do hypo (assuming I can catch her) I'm thinking she's going to get the S**t kicked out of her by the other tangs when I put her back in. She already gets picked on every now and then by the others so I'm not sure what would be worse, leaving her in or taking her out. :sad: What makes everything worse is that she is my favorite fish out of all of them!!!

fkshiu
02-17-2008, 12:38 AM
Ok so it's been a fews days since I thought there was only sand on my lavender tang however there seems to be more spots now and it's looking like it might be ick!!!! eeeeek! None of our other 5 tangs (or any of our other fish for that matter) have any spots on them? So I'm wondering why this one does. I think I might try to catch her and do a hypo salinity on her. My main fear is if my lavender tang is out of the main tank for a month while we do hypo (assuming I can catch her) I'm thinking she's going to get the S**t kicked out of her by the other tangs when I put her back in. She already gets picked on every now and then by the others so I'm not sure what would be worse, leaving her in or taking her out. :sad: What makes everything worse is that she is my favorite fish out of all of them!!!

Ich doesn't work that way. If one fish has it - all of them have it in one form or another. You'd have to put all of the fish into hypo.

fishoholic
02-17-2008, 12:48 AM
Ich doesn't work that way. If one fish has it - all of them have it in one form or another. You'd have to put all of the fish into hypo.

That's what I was just thinking as I was trying (and failing miserably) to catch her. Hopefully the good old garlic method will work. There's no way I could QT (or catch) all the fish in my 230g.

Drock169
02-17-2008, 12:55 AM
most tangs have ick when you purchase them, it usually just needs a trigger like stress from being picked on to cause them to have an outbreak

fishoholic
02-17-2008, 01:08 AM
most tangs have ick when you purchase them, it usually just needs a trigger like stress from being picked on to cause them to have an outbreak

Makes sense, she does have a nip in her tail right now. However I noticed some spots on her about 2 months ago, long before I added new fish to the tank and I've had her for over a year.

Skimmerking
02-17-2008, 02:02 AM
well its gone when I looked at it that night. the white spots looks like it was on the inside so that is why i turn on the ozone, and the garlic. well its gone for now

thanks everryine for there thoughts and idea's. once I come back from Afghanistans and I have my new tank up and running before I add the Kole tang I will be adding a power blue and brown to the tank. and then you will see ICK:sad:

fishoholic
02-17-2008, 04:21 AM
well its gone when I looked at it that night. the white spots looks like it was on the inside so that is why i turn on the ozone, and the garlic. well its gone for now

thanks everryine for there thoughts and idea's. once I come back from Afghanistans and I have my new tank up and running before I add the Kole tang I will be adding a power blue and brown to the tank. and then you will see ICK:sad:

That's good to hear. I hope the ick stays gone for you.

fishytime
02-18-2008, 03:16 PM
Glad to hear your fish shook the parasite.Correct me if Im wrong but, I was under the Impression that the ick parasite was constantly present in our aquariums (fresh and salt). Its only when a fishes imune system is lowered by either its general health or stress that the parasite can take hold.You might want to try and figure out what caused the stress to the fish.

Skimmerking
02-18-2008, 03:37 PM
have a feeling that I know what it is I havea foxface that like to get bugged by the kole so its a self inflicked wound.:wink:

marie
02-18-2008, 03:52 PM
Correct me if Im wrong but, I was under the Impression that the ick parasite was constantly present in our aquariums (fresh and salt). Its only when a fishes imune system is lowered by either its general health or stress that the parasite can take hold.You might want to try and figure out what caused the stress to the fish.

Parasites will only be present in an aquarium if you put it there. You can keep your display ich free as long as everything "wet" gets quarantined for 4 to 6 weeks before going into the tank.

gord repchin
02-19-2008, 08:48 PM
Hay I have for ALL ICH victims. :biggrin:

I have been a victim of this parasite, I've lost 3 Tang's 1 Cow and a few other fish not to mention hundreds of dollars to infected fish.
I was this close to getting out and selling my Reef tank.
But I took one last shot at it. Taking advice from other's I have come up with a system and found a product that is fail safe.
I don't even worry if a new fish has ICH or not. I just throw it in the tank with 2 cap's of "Stop Parasite" and in 3 days it's gone and my existing fish never get it form the new-B.

-So here it is, the end of Ich in your tank.....
1.) First thing you need to Order "Stop Parasite" from Chem-Marin.
2.) When you have the fish at home and still in the bag/Or an existing infected fish out of the tank, I prepare a cold-water-dip station. (RO water in a bowl/bucket.) "bring temperature up to 72C", put infected fish in the fresh water for 1-3min's no more than 3 minutes (this depends on the size of fish and the stress-movement of the fish.).
3.) Then extract the fish out of the dip container and put into another container containing your Tank water. This is the rinse stage and is only needed for a few seconds.
4.) Now you can put the fish in your main tank. I suggest you have your lights off or just the blue light on if possible. (Less stress on the new-B fish)
5.) NOW ADD the 2 cap's per 30g's twice a day for 5 days. (e.g.. 4 cap's in a 60g tank. 4 in the morning and 4 in the evening.)
6.) I add 2 cap's twice a day for an extra 3 days, and then just 2 cap's per day till my next water change.

I keep a bottle in the fridge and add it in if the fish look like they are wounded, or not eating as it speed up appetite and builds the immune system. It will not harm the internal organs of the fish, or harm the other inhabitants of a Reef tank.

One thing I noticed is I had to feed the tank more as they were eating up a storm.
I have not lost a fish to ICH since and I don't even worry about it when buying a new fish.
it's a no issue to me now.

(Another tip is to keep your tank at a higher temperature 80C and low salinity.) (Not recomended for coral tanks)
-see link-
http://www.marinedepot.com/ps_AquariumPage~PageAlias~additives_chem-marine_Stop-Aiptasia_Stop-Parasite_Stop_Hair_Algae.html

Good luck. :mrgreen:

Skimmerking
02-19-2008, 09:02 PM
I realy don't agree with the high temp and low salinity the reason is the higher the temp the less oxygen in the water, the fish will get stressed out more and with the low salinity your causing the fish to have a chance to have the gills burned from the low salinity. What i would do is have a QT tank and treat them for a few weeks with Copper, or just let them live in the tnak by them selves this will sork alot better. IMO

Lance
02-19-2008, 11:26 PM
I had "Ich" just a few months ago, and although I am no expert, I spent hours and hours researching it. This is what the experts say: "Ich" has a 4-stage life cycle and time line of each stage. The complete life cycle takes anywhere from 28 days to 6 weeks. If the display tank is empty of fish for 6 weeks, the parasite is irradicated from the tank, as it has no fish to attach to and will die. Therefore, your tank will remain free of ich until you introduce it again: by new fish, inverts, live rock, wet net, etc. If you discover Ich in your tank, you must remove all fish for 6 weeks. QT the fish for this period and treat with hypo salinity or other treatments. (Stop Parasite is a real hit-and- miss treatment. Didn't work for me and some of my corals went into a real pout. Some people have had some success with it though.)

Skimmer Juice
02-20-2008, 12:30 AM
ya I belive in the cuprimine it is a lot less harsh than copper. But the down side is you waould have to pull out all your fish, to treat. I dont think I would want to dip my fish (no offence) I have treated all my fish with cuprimine, I have really nice healthy (big) fish.

gord repchin
02-20-2008, 12:46 AM
Each to their own, I too have spent hours researching and hands on fighting Ich.
This is just what I did but do what work for you. If you are done loosing fish due to Ich, I throw this out there for those that want the cure. It was the only thing that worked after doing everything else. :biggrin:

gord repchin
02-20-2008, 01:02 AM
I only dipped once in an extreme case and it was not all that bad (I think I was stressed more during the ordeal). but now I just add the "Stop" when I add a salted-new-B. and the veterans never contract Ich.
Copper is crazy harsh on the Fish and It takes the life out of them.
with all-natural methods they do get better and very Fat. :lol:

Hail_Ceasar
02-20-2008, 10:19 PM
Thats good to hear. I had a ich problem once and all i sued is garlic and it worked really good. I still give them some once in a while just as a precaution