Joe Reefer
02-12-2008, 09:24 PM
What else have you tried to feed him?

sal
02-12-2008, 09:27 PM
mices ,krill everything soaked in garlic, flake , pellets

marie
02-12-2008, 09:38 PM
When I got my achilles he didn't eat anything for over 2 weeks. I eventually got him to eat Ocean Nutrition Red Algae Sheets by wrapping them around small rocks with elastic bands.

He now eats nori, mysis and frozen angel food.

naesco
02-12-2008, 10:44 PM
please help: my achilles tang for 3 weeks has only been ever so slightly grasing of rocks ,will consume small pieces of seaweed,but is getting slimmer and slimmer. dont no what to do,had him for 3 weeks now

What is the size of your tank? What is the size of the fish
and what species are the other larger fish in the tank?

sal
02-12-2008, 11:47 PM
thank you i will try this

sal
02-12-2008, 11:49 PM
100g scopas tang,clown tang,regal tang,2 tomatoe clows ,achilles tang 5-6 inches relative to everything in tank

naesco
02-13-2008, 01:06 AM
Sal you have several problems.
Your tank is too small to accommodate one of the tangs you have chosen let alone three. Your newest naso is stressed out.
A clown tang is extremely vicious and is almost impossible to keep even by expert tang keepers. Naso's are also difficult but not impossible.

You need to get rid of, at the minimum, two of them.

In the short term move the naso to your quarantine tank. Put some rockwork in so that he can hid and feel safe.
Keep the lights off or dim.
Do not approach the tank except to feed her. You are adding to the stress.
Feed brown alge which is the natural food of this species instead of green algae.
Try soaking the algae and all other food with garlic extract (not juice) and selcon vitamins. Try also a little mysis and worms.

IME, the fish is stressed and will not eat in your main tank and therefore is starving.
It is also possible if this tang is from the Philippines or Indonesia where the use of cyanide is rampant, that it is dying a slow death from cyanide.

Thank you
Wayne

reptile guy
02-13-2008, 01:12 AM
I would go with sheets of algae or nori possibly with a few drops of garlic on it. Best case scenario is to sell it to me cause you know when it came in we were all drooling over it:biggrin: Just kidding I really hope it pulls through for you!

Skimmerking
02-13-2008, 02:59 AM
well your fish is the 3-6-9 fish
first 3 weeks is very touch and go for being in your tank, lots ofthem don't make it
next is the 6 week mark is a important one too getting use to the tank and tryingto keep the ICK down.
then the 9 week mark after the 9 week mark the fis hwill have a good life , if the tank conditions are good

dsaundry
02-13-2008, 03:16 AM
I agree with Naesco. Too much and problems in the works I think. Cyanide a possibility. But for now, definately lots of Nori and keep the variety coming and cross your fingers..Isolation a big plus but moving it now might add excess stress. Good luck I hope he pulls through..

marie
02-13-2008, 03:44 AM
Achilles tangs come from hawaii and as far as I know there are no cyanide caught fish coming from hawaii so cyanide is out.

One of the big problems with achilles (after you get past the poor shipping record ) is getting them to adjust to captive life, eating prepared foods is one of those things the tang is going to have to adjust to...many won't adjust and they die :cry: . Having 3 other tangs in the tank won't help either

sal
02-13-2008, 04:14 AM
thanks for all your comments definetely will put him in a quarantine tank,but then what get rid of all the other tangs

fishoholic
02-13-2008, 04:47 AM
thanks for all your comments definetely will put him in a quarantine tank,but then what get rid of all the other tangs

Sounds like it's time for a tank upgrade :biggrin: Just wondering, were your other tangs picking on the achilles? On a side note, is your clown tang vicious? I just got a clown tang and so far he's on the bottom of the tang totem pole in my tank but I'm worried that might change as he gets bigger.

reptile guy
02-13-2008, 06:26 AM
The Achilles was from Hawaii and it was a very healthy, fat and clean specimen. It just seems to be having some troubles adjusting as they tend to do but with some luck I'm sure he'll pull through.

naesco
02-13-2008, 06:49 AM
Achilles tangs come from hawaii and as far as I know there are no cyanide caught fish coming from hawaii so cyanide is out.

One of the big problems with achilles (after you get past the poor shipping record ) is getting them to adjust to captive life, eating prepared foods is one of those things the tang is going to have to adjust to...many won't adjust and they die :cry: . Having 3 other tangs in the tank won't help either

You are right. I was thinking of the Naso Tang. Achilles are very difficult to keep.

Sal. Make sure you you have your quarantine tank extremely well oxygenated. Throw in a bubbler and place a power head near the surface.

Wayne

naesco
02-13-2008, 06:53 AM
Sounds like it's time for a tank upgrade :biggrin: Just wondering, were your other tangs picking on the achilles? On a side note, is your clown tang vicious? I just got a clown tang and so far he's on the bottom of the tang totem pole in my tank but I'm worried that might change as he gets bigger.

Your clown will soon be on the top of the totem pole. They become very belligerant and attack any new additions to your tank.

Definitely not a good reef fish to have.

fishoholic
02-13-2008, 06:34 PM
Your clown will soon be on the top of the totem pole. They become very belligerant and attack any new additions to your tank.

Definitely not a good reef fish to have.

I keep hearing that. Our clown is such a wuss right now, We added 3 anthias about a week after he had been added and he swims away from them whenever they go near him. I'm having a hard time believing he'll be really mean when he's really not right now. I will say we are not planing on getting any new fish as we are a bit overstocked right now, so since there will not be any new additions maybe he'll be ok. I guess I'll have to wait and see.

sal
02-13-2008, 10:58 PM
clown tang is pretty aggresive

untamed
02-20-2008, 01:14 AM
I keep hearing that. Our clown is such a wuss right now, We added 3 anthias about a week after he had been added and he swims away from them whenever they go near him. I'm having a hard time believing he'll be really mean when he's really not right now. I will say we are not planing on getting any new fish as we are a bit overstocked right now, so since there will not be any new additions maybe he'll be ok. I guess I'll have to wait and see.

The clown tang will grow and his behaviour will surely change as his size increases.

Re: Achillies. My Achillies eats everything/anything, so don't limit your ideas to only Nori. Mine likes that mixed frozen seafood available at the T&T grocery. Try some clams...elastic band a clam to a rock along with some seaweed. Some fish are born "pickers" and it might take some time to adjust to taking free-floating food bits.

fishoholic
02-20-2008, 03:57 AM
The clown tang will grow and his behaviour will surely change as his size increases.

:redface: I hate to say it but his behaviour is changing :twised: He's not extremely aggressive (yet) but I've noticed that when my lavender tang goes towards the back for the tank (which is his territory) about 1/2 of the time the clown tang will chase and nip at the lavender. On the plus side once the lavender tang is away from the back of the tank the clown tang leaves her alone. So far he seems to only go after the lavender tang and once in a while he'll fight back if the yellow tang attacks him. Other then that I'd say 90% of his time is spent picking algae off of the glass.