PDA

View Full Version : Epoxy question

fatpuffer
02-12-2008, 04:04 PM
What epoxy do you guys/gals use to stick frags to liverocks? For example, I have a piece of frogspawn that I would like to securely attach to a rock.

THANKS!

Jonah

wickedfrags
02-12-2008, 05:33 PM
This one :mrgreen:

http://www.wickedfrags.com/images/other/Nov20_l_epoxy.jpg

Black Phantom
02-12-2008, 05:34 PM
I picked up this stuff from J&L. Works great as you cut off a little from each piesce and mix together. Then you can work it dry or underwater. Seeems to last a long time as well.

http://www.jlaquatics.com/phpstore/store_pages/product-info.php?product_ID=MC-DELEP

SeaShell
02-12-2008, 06:23 PM
I have a love/hate relationship with putty. Sometimes it holds VERY well, other times it lets go right away. I've tried a couple of kinds (no, I can't recall their names) and have the same kinda luck with both.

michika
02-12-2008, 06:43 PM
I just use super glue, I find it holds better.

fatpuffer
02-12-2008, 07:14 PM
What kind of superglue?

Js

dsaundry
02-12-2008, 07:23 PM
gel type at dollar store.:biggrin:

michika
02-12-2008, 07:51 PM
Cyanoacrylate - I just use the stuff from the hobby shop in extra thick, its called Flashed glue.

sharuq1
02-12-2008, 07:58 PM
You can get the gel type here at the dollar store in parkland mall. Both types work, but the gel is thicker. It has a red cap. Anything cyanocryalate is good, just look at the label. Loctite from home depot is same stuff

Black Phantom
02-13-2008, 02:15 AM
I tried the super glue. It worked good on sps and lps but trying to do any mushrooms or toadstools and I found there was too much water to stick. The epoxy didn't seem to have that problem.

michika
02-13-2008, 02:17 AM
Sorry I should have mentioned that I only use it on SPS, or LPS.

Todd
02-13-2008, 02:33 AM
I have been wondering what type would work for attaching zoo's to frag plugs? I have some of the epoxy putty, but I can't see that working very well.

Also as an aside, how is the best way to frag zoo's from a colony and then attach them to frag plugs?

Not intending to hijack, just expand the scope a little bit...

michika
02-13-2008, 02:53 AM
i still use super glue on zoas, but thats all I've ever kept for softies.

Todd
02-13-2008, 03:19 AM
i still use super glue on zoas, but thats all I've ever kept for softies.

What is the process for doing this? (ie Do you have to dry them? How, and where, do you frag them from the colony?)

michika
02-13-2008, 03:17 PM
I dab the rock to dry it off, and put a generous bubble on the rock. Then I shove the zoas down into it so that it pops the bubble. I then drip water on the rock from above to firm up the glue. The hardest thing about this process is making sure the glue doesn't get on the tops of the zoas.

fatpuffer
02-13-2008, 04:14 PM
I tried it with zoas and it worked great. Just like Michika mentioned make sure the zoa lands right side up. I use gloves and a plastic forceps to ensure that the zoa is place appropriately.

Jonah

Brent F
02-13-2008, 04:53 PM
I dab the rock to dry it off, and put a generous bubble on the rock. Then I shove the zoas down into it so that it pops the bubble. I then drip water on the rock from above to firm up the glue. The hardest thing about this process is making sure the glue doesn't get on the tops of the zoas.

Thanks for the tip. Has anyone figured out a way to attach zoas and mushrooms to large rocks that cannot be removed from a tank? The only thng I have found that works is putting them inside holes in the rock but that really limits placement

Brent F
02-15-2008, 02:04 AM
This one :mrgreen:

http://www.wickedfrags.com/images/other/Nov20_l_epoxy.jpg

I tried this epoxy today. Wow, way better than the marineland I was using before. It sets up so much faster.

hecks220
02-16-2008, 04:28 AM
i have the two part epoxy and find it difficult at times. try sticking it in the microwave briefly once mixed together, and it should cure it faster. too long and it goes hard though

Todd
03-10-2008, 07:13 AM

Thanks michika, but how do you get the zoo's free from the colony? Just cut them off like you would a xenia or a mushroom? Do you fully dry the glue before putting it back in the tank?

Also will this glue work?? Instant Krazy Glue - Advanced Formula Gel: http://www.krazyglue.com/products/product_detail.asp?pc=KG484&g=1
It contains 'Ethyl Cyanoacrylate'.