PDA

View Full Version : FS Clarion Angelfish - One of two in Canada

PHCorrect
02-12-2008, 12:16 PM
It is an expensive angel due to it's isolation and related costs to collection and transport, the Clarion angel is perhaps the hardiest, most undemanding species of marine angelfishes and is only found in Mexico's waters at Socorro Island in the Islas Revilligigedos (400 mile boat ride from Cabo San Lucas MX)

It's brassy coloration and behavior make this Holacanthus Clarionensis a prize speciman for the eclectic fishkeeper. They're bold, beautiful and behaviorally comical. Oh, did I mention rare and expensive?

Do you trust your abilities with a $3,000 fish.

If you purchase this you will be the owner of 1 of the only 2 known to be in Canada. Yes, they were legitimately collected via permit.

See my avtar for image. I am curios to see who might be as crazy as me. The fish is fully acclimated and has been here for 2 weeks now.

Mike
778-908-6650

Joe Reefer
02-12-2008, 02:40 PM
:turn-l:

muck
02-12-2008, 02:44 PM
why are you selling..?

Delphinus
02-12-2008, 04:16 PM
Only 2 in the country? Wow, I knew they were rare but I would have thought someone else would have had some...

How big is the one you're selling?

tang daddy
02-12-2008, 05:26 PM
they're juve's 4-5 in and acclimate better than the larger of it's kind also they have more colouration when juvi like white bars etc.

PHCorrect
02-12-2008, 08:22 PM
why are you selling..?
I am selling because now I have accomplished an egotistical goal. A first in Canada in many years maybe even ever (legally). The collectors only got about 50 (roughly 10 stayed stateside and 2 came here) the rest went to Asia and Europe in a bidding war.

Murminator
02-12-2008, 08:35 PM
Gorgeous fish.....wasn't one of these was it?

http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news/2007/07/photogalleries/animal-smuggling/photo2.html

Chaloupa
02-12-2008, 08:37 PM
What a gorgeous fish, I only wish I had the tank space...oh and did I forget to mention the cash too!

Joe Reefer
02-12-2008, 08:39 PM
Wow look at all of them. Did they leave any to reproduce?

tang daddy
02-12-2008, 09:06 PM
They've had these fish around for awhile now mostly in asia and have recently opened a permit to catch 50 only I guess the guy that caught them got paid lol!!

I would love to own one of these fish but I need a 400+g tank also to achieve that I would need to sell my ride psssh I'll take the turbo for now.....

The clarion,conspicious,iron butterfly are some of the top ranked fish to own maybe when I hit the lotery I will invest in these fish just the 3 that I listed will cost over 12g's oh and the butterfly needs cooler water so either an a/c room or a big chiller.

A guy had one in Van well actually 2 and both died because of heat issues how would any of you feel losing 3g's in 1 hour ouch.

albert_dao
02-12-2008, 09:20 PM
This fish use to be as cheap as queen angels a long time ago :(

Gorgeous fish! Hope you do well with the one you decide to keep, I was pretty tempted myself when these came by.

mwafler
02-13-2008, 12:06 AM
Can we see pictures of the one you have? Just to...ahh...confirm its existence in your possession...? :smile:

czar
02-13-2008, 04:16 AM
I saw it on the weekend...what a beautiful fish. No way I trust myself that much though and I don't have the space or money. Guess I'm pretty lucky to be able to say that I've seen one.

PHCorrect
02-19-2008, 06:01 PM

http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news/2007/07/photogalleries/animal-smuggling/photo2.html

These were collected in mexico buy a person with Mexican passport and imported and approved by US Fish and Wild Life.

Pure Legit.

UnderWorldAquatics
02-21-2008, 12:28 AM
As someone mentioned these fish use to be more abundant, They were still expensive, but not to the same degree... I brought in a couple of them years ago... I think a more acurate statement would be that your specimin is one of 2 "recently" imported into Canada. They have been in Canada for years... not a common species, but they are around....
pretty fish!

danny zubot
02-22-2008, 04:20 AM
If i buy it will people in Calgary pay $50.00 a pop to come over and see it?:lol:

All jokes aside, I hope for the sake of this species that it remains an elusive catch. Maybe one day one will land in Calgary for my viewing pleasure.

UnderWorldAquatics
02-22-2008, 05:48 AM
are comments being deleted? just wondering...
cheers!

PHCorrect
02-22-2008, 02:42 PM
Shame on the operators of Canreef. Surpressing the right to rebut and someones free speach. There was no dirty language in the statement which was nothing short of great debate material.

Any ways my rebutle simply stated that I belive the above comments are inacurate. Fact is, this is probably one of two which are (legally) present in Canada.

If we agree to disagree that is fine. I would be curious to find out if there are any in Canada and see some more images of this beauty.

Watch it Canreef you are bording on surpressing on peoples rights!

PHCorrect
02-22-2008, 02:44 PM
If i buy it will people in Calgary pay $50.00 a pop to come over and see it?:lol:

All jokes aside, I hope for the sake of this species that it remains an elusive catch. Maybe one day one will land in Calgary for my viewing pleasure.
You might need an Orca Whale and some other attractions. The Vancouver aquarium seems like a bargain at that price.

Chin_Lee
02-22-2008, 04:24 PM
Shame on the operators of Canreef. Surpressing the right to rebut and someones free speach. There was no dirty language in the statement which was nothing short of great debate material.
There is a big difference between a personal attack and a debate. Your post was nothing more than a personal attack and you did not debate anything.

Any ways my rebutle simply stated that I belive the above comments are inacurate. Fact is, this is probably one of two which are (legally) present in Canada.
If we agree to disagree that is fine. I would be curious to find out if there are any in Canada and see some more images of this beauty.
This tone and statement is debatable material; your deleted post was not.

Watch it Canreef you are bording on surpressing on peoples rights!
Free speech is a right and is very much encouraged. Because this is a privately owned board, when you signed up and agree to be a member on this board, you have also agreed to the member agreement within which also has a set of rules. If you now disagree with the member agreement, please send me a PM to discuss the status of your membership.

UnderWorldAquatics
02-22-2008, 07:43 PM
As someone mentioned these fish use to be more abundant, They were still expensive, but not to the same degree... I brought in a couple of them years ago... I think a more acurate statement would be that your specimin is one of 2 "recently" imported into Canada. They have been in Canada for years... not a common species, but they are around....
pretty fish!

Ive been in the industry awhile.... I stand by this post....
Cheers!

PHCorrect
02-23-2008, 03:20 PM
Chin

I think you are good person and by no means did I intend a personal attack to underworldaquatics. I was just defending a statement that was basically saying I was a liar. Now that is where the personal attack took place. He does say "years ago" and I was saying if it was less than 10 or so then they were probably brought in illegally. And it would be doubtful if any were still alive. I also suggested that it would be worthwhile seeing some of the ones that are in Canada. When I see this, I will stand corrected and full apologies will be given.

If people read the Clarion thread on ReefCentral they will see all kinds of information on the illegal collection and importation of this species and others.

Illegal collection is just plain wrong and the time frame underwater brought them in suggests his were illegal when compared with the information from Cortez Marine (Steve) who is the person who holds the Mexican passport and legally collected and distributed this recent batch of Clarions.

There is a big difference between a personal attack and a debate. Your post was nothing more than a personal attack and you did not debate anything.

This tone and statement is debatable material; your deleted post was not.

Free speech is a right and is very much encouraged. Because this is a privately owned board, when you signed up and agree to be a member on this board, you have also agreed to the member agreement within which also has a set of rules. If you now disagree with the member agreement, please send me a PM to discuss the status of your membership.

Chin_Lee
02-23-2008, 04:15 PM
The legality on previously imported Clarions would be a great debate and a great debate is set by the tone, content, knowledge and appropriate reference of the material. When a contradiction or disagreement on a debatable topic is produced, request for more information or produce more information to reinforce your side; but a disagreement does not make either side a liar.
Most if not all of us will agree that illegal collection is wrong. Fortunately for the customs officers who enforce these regulations, these cases are very easy to convict on. By simple possession and the prerequisite of declaration of the species (which is often false if illegally collected) makes it very easy to show mens rea (intent) to import illegally caught species. The unfortunate part is the ratio of customs officers to shipments; they just can't physically inspect everything that goes through. If they are required to inspect ALL shipments that go through, we will never get any of our livestock alive. Another factor against the customs officers is knowledge; very little number of them have good knowledge on the different species of fish, birds, reptiles, or mammals by plain visual inspections.
I'm not familiar with importation laws but the statute of limitations on summary conviction offences are 6 months and there is no limitations on indictable offences.

GreenSpottedPuffer
02-23-2008, 06:01 PM
Just curious but what proof are you offering that these are legally caught? I only ask because I know for a FACT that there are more in Canada (Toronto) (Maybe illegally, I have no idea but they were brought up from the US last year) and Im just curious how you would distinguish yours from the two I know live in T.O.

UnderWorldAquatics
02-23-2008, 07:38 PM
Just curious but what proof are you offering that these are legally caught? I only ask because I know for a FACT that there are more in Canada (Toronto) (Maybe illegally, I have no idea but they were brought up from the US last year) and Im just curious how you would distinguish yours from the two I know live in T.O.

this post strikes a chord with me...it brings up points that come to mind from my post that was deleted(not because of content but because of relativity after the post it was a reply to was deleted...) Im assuming that PHCorrect's statements make the assumption that only fish recieved directly thru this Mexican exporter are obtained illegally...???This is light years from the truth!!!
also I was not trying to call you a liar, but I will point out that your talking alot about something you very obviously dont know alot about. Further based on the life expectancy of Large Angels I would be dissapointed if the ones I imported were not still alive...
Heres a scenerio... Mexican exporter ships out 50 legally caught Clarion Angels, 20 get disspursed to 5 large LA wholesalers, 10 to 3 Flordia wholesalers, 10 to 5 Japan wholesalers, and 5 to 3 UK wholesalers, and 5 to 2 Australian wholesalers.So now with some basic math... you can clearly see that I can now leagally import a Clarion Angel from one of 18 places from around the world....And since its a desirable fish... how bout the Clarion that went from Mexico to LA, once in LA it was sent to a networking wholesaler in Flordia, the customer the fish was broght in for got divorced and bailed on his order, so the Clarion was up for sale again and Jim in winnipeg heard about it and ordered it from Flordia....Jim is now admiring his beautiful Clarion Angel that he aquired legally, untill someone starts saying things they know little about, Jim is annoyed! I would be too! Anyways... Ive brought in a few Clarion Angels over the years and they were imported legally. Please have a full understanding of what your talking about before insinuating illegal activity...it ****es people off to say the least....
Cheers!

mwafler
02-23-2008, 09:16 PM
Marginaly Pointless Internet Argument!

http://www.encyclopediaofstupid.com/stupid/images/7/7e/Internet.jpg

UnderWorldAquatics
02-23-2008, 09:26 PM
Marginaly Pointless Internet Argument!

http://www.encyclopediaofstupid.com/stupid/images/7/7e/Internet.jpg

Next time someone publicly insinuates that your ingauged in illegal business dealings that are punishable by huge fines and jail time, and you defend the insinuations.... Ill remember to crack a snide remark your way......
thanks for being an internet hero!

Renegade
02-23-2008, 09:56 PM
any chance we can see a BIG picture of this angels, your little one does not do it justice!

Kyle

GreenSpottedPuffer
02-23-2008, 10:13 PM
this post strikes a chord with me...it brings up points that come to mind from my post that was deleted(not because of content but because of relativity after the post it was a reply to was deleted...) Im assuming that PHCorrect's statements make the assumption that only fish recieved directly thru this Mexican exporter are obtained illegally...???This is light years from the truth!!!
also I was not trying to call you a liar, but I will point out that your talking alot about something you very obviously dont know alot about. Further based on the life expectancy of Large Angels I would be dissapointed if the ones I imported were not still alive...
Heres a scenerio... Mexican exporter ships out 50 legally caught Clarion Angels, 20 get disspursed to 5 large LA wholesalers, 10 to 3 Flordia wholesalers, 10 to 5 Japan wholesalers, and 5 to 3 UK wholesalers, and 5 to 2 Australian wholesalers.So now with some basic math... you can clearly see that I can now leagally import a Clarion Angel from one of 18 places from around the world....And since its a desirable fish... how bout the Clarion that went from Mexico to LA, once in LA it was sent to a networking wholesaler in Flordia, the customer the fish was broght in for got divorced and bailed on his order, so the Clarion was up for sale again and Jim in winnipeg heard about it and ordered it from Flordia....Jim is now admiring his beautiful Clarion Angel that he aquired legally, untill someone starts saying things they know little about, Jim is annoyed! I would be too! Anyways... Ive brought in a few Clarion Angels over the years and they were imported legally. Please have a full understanding of what your talking about before insinuating illegal activity...it ****es people off to say the least....
Cheers!

Im not too sure what your getting at or what "****ed you off" so much? I have not even made a single comment directed towards you.

I simply asked PH correct how one would know if they are legal or not. I think you are basically saying that its an insult to ask him for proof but why not?

Im honestly not interested in buying them anyways but I am curious since its a big debate about illegal and legal caught fish...So how do you KNOW this is legal? Most LFS do their best to only buy from reputable suppliers but even the wholesalers don't always know whats going on overseas. I have talked the LFS I shop at all the time and they admitted that they thought the Copperbands they receive are cyanide caught even though they are told that is not the case.

Your reading into my post WAY too much.

The only reason Im curious about this at all is that it was stated that this may be one of two in Canada. My father and stepmother have 2. Honestly I have no idea if they are legal or illegal but I do know my father would not knowingly buy an illegal fish. He does employ a aquarium service company in Toronto that set up his 600G tank and does all the maintenance for him and also bought the fish...so maybe illegally? I have no idea but I was just asking about what would make this one for sale any different from the 2 he has?

UnderWorldAquatics
02-23-2008, 11:04 PM
Im not too sure what your getting at or what "****ed you off" so much? I have not even made a single comment directed towards you.

Sorry, "strikes a chord with me" wasnt meant to insinuate that I have any problem with your post, it only meant that it made me think about posts that have been made, I think your post was a good one with good points! I only have a problem with other posts that are made in ignorance and arrogance that also insinuate I am possibly engaging in or have engaged in illegal activity that is punishable by huge fines and jail time....one should know what they speak of before making such acusations! I think anyone that has an insinuating acusation thrown their way that could lead to a international criminal investigation has the right to be ****ed off! The old addage"one should think before one speaks" rings very true.....
Sorry again for any confusion GreenSpotPuffer
Cheers!

GreenSpottedPuffer
02-23-2008, 11:34 PM
Sorry, "strikes a chord with me" wasnt meant to insinuate that I have any problem with your post, it only meant that it made me think about posts that have been made, I think your post was a good one with good points! I only have a problem with other posts that are made in ignorance and arrogance that also insinuate I am possibly engaging in or have engaged in illegal activity that is punishable by huge fines and jail time....one should know what they speak of before making such acusations! I think anyone that has an insinuating acusation thrown their way that could lead to a international criminal investigation has the right to be ****ed off! The old addage"one should think before one speaks" rings very true.....
Sorry again for any confusion GreenSpotPuffer
Cheers!

Ok, I see...I misunderstood then :)

PHCorrect
02-24-2008, 12:00 AM
Gentlemen (and ladies),

I really did not intend to start this kind of controversy.

Here is a link to the source of my information.
http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=1295178

If I am interpreting the knowledge/gossip correctly it seems that there has been a period of time where illegal collection took place. Mexico simply did not issue permits for their collection.

It is a very interesting read. I know that the fish I have was collect under a new permit which was recently issued.

In fact the person who collected these was asked by USFW to handle the batch Murminator referred to in his earlier post

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

http://news.nationalgeographic.com/n...ng/photo2.html

These were collected around two years ago apparently and LFS like www.oldtownaquarium.com that either knowingly or unknowingly had to remove them from their tanks.

Now if some swam up to Canada then…well you connect the dots.

Anyways I am not calling anyone anything and I am not selling this fish any more. It is a great specimen and I watch it grow and enjoy it over the next few years and then maybe sell it to the Asian market for much more.

If you take the time to read the thread on Reef Central the collector has the market cornered on this species and is doing everything in his marketing to keep the price high including limiting the collection and shorting the demand.

This is probably a good investment.

Chin_Lee
02-24-2008, 05:04 AM
Thank you for the very thoughtful post PHCorrect. Great links and good information.
Since this fish is no longer for sale, the thread will be closed but still viewable for others to refer to your links.
I look forward to buying some of your "for sale" fishes one day and hopefully I will be able to see this fish in person. Sorry I couldn't afford this angel unless I win the Millionaire for Life lottery at which point you will get a PM from me inquiring about it buying it :)
Thank you!
PS - please post good quality pictures of it in the Pictures forum. It looks stunningly beautiful and I personally would like to see more pictures of it.