PDA

View Full Version : Shrimp

SeaSerpant
02-12-2008, 02:10 AM
would shrimp be good against algae if they don't get eaten by my angelfish, gouramis, loach, black skirt tetra's, glassfish, African dwarf frogs?

tang daddy
02-12-2008, 02:12 AM
Amano shrimp are the only shrimp that wont get eaten by your fish you listed all others are like popcorn!

SeaSerpant
02-12-2008, 02:14 AM
would they be useful on algae?

Myka
02-12-2008, 03:54 AM
Amanos are awesome algae eaters, but wouldn't they get eaten by his loach/Angels/Gouramis???

dsaundry
02-12-2008, 03:41 PM
I think the Angels might take them out, as for the others it's a crap shoot. Not the frogs if they are very small, Surprised the angels don't nip at the frogs sometimes..they are cichlids after all. As for algae, What type of algae is it?? How often do you do water changes? With f/w tanks, water changes are just as important as s/w tanks. A great deterent in algae growth. Where is tank located, near window?? There may be some debate on it but I try not to keep a f/w tank too close to any windows. For now I would try more frequent water changes, Test your water or take it to your LFS and have it tested and don't expect changes overnight. As for algae eaters look for a "Bushynose Pleco" If you really want a pleco, they are the best pleco I have found for algae. I have had several types and for the most part I find pleco's a very dirty fish. They create a lot of waste as well. The other thing about pleco's is once they start eating fish food they don't do a very good job on the algae. You may want to investigate some other options for algae. I have had some good success with snails as well, but you have to be careful if it is a planted tank. There are a few other fish that can help, Chinese algae eaters are ok{Can't remember their proper name} But like in a marine tank you have to be patient, change is usually slow. Good luck and Happy Fishing:biggrin:

tang daddy
02-12-2008, 08:51 PM
^^^^I guess depending on size amano shrimp it may get eaten although my amano shrimp and lots that I've seen are 2-3 inches and have never been eaten by your fish list, now I don't wanna start a debate over whos shrimp is bigger tit for tat and all that but if you put a shrimp in an african cichlid tank yes it will be eaten! Arowanna, oscars to name a few it will be gone in seconds. dang when I owned an aro it ate anything from feeder fish to crickets, spiders and even june bugs...

although angels have a small mouth, loaches forget about it, same with gouramis they cant even fit a pea in their mouth how are they gonna eat a 2 inch shrimp?

SeaSerpant
02-13-2008, 12:51 AM
i bought something else so thanks for the responces.

lahaina
02-16-2008, 04:38 PM
Get some flower shrimp from your lfs. My angles leave them alone....:biggrin:

banditpowdercoat
02-16-2008, 05:30 PM
I had 2 Amanos in my tank, about 1" long. Got an angel, now I cant find my Amano's. Seen them hiding in the wood but now I cant find them. Cant find any shell either?? Kinda sad cause I loved watching them shrimpies. Will Betta's attack shrimp?? Maybe I make my betta tank with shrimps too

SeaSerpant
02-16-2008, 09:39 PM
flower shrimp eh?