PDA

View Full Version : Algae

SeaSerpant
02-12-2008, 01:34 AM
I have some green algae on the ground on my rocks and some dark brown on the top of my fake plant near the light. My pleco died so have no algae eater, What would the best way to remove it be?

langdon reefer
02-12-2008, 01:50 AM
what does the green algae look like slimy or like a mat?

I have some green algae on the ground on my rocks and some dark brown on the top of my fake plant near the light. My pleco died so have no algae eater, What would the best way to remove it be?

SeaSerpant
02-12-2008, 01:56 AM
it looks slimy like the scum on top of a pond.

tang daddy
02-12-2008, 02:20 AM
algae is caused by a number of things, different algae by different causes bba aka black beard algae is hard to get rid of boil the stuff it's on but it may come back I've heard of flourish excel taking care of it also increasing flow in the tank and feeding sparingly. Someone had suggested turning off flow in the tank and doing spot treatments with hydrogen peroxide but don't quote me as I havent tried it. Hair algae can be taken care of by a few amano shrimp slime algae is a type of bacteria like cyano in saltwater and can be taken care of with meds. A quick search on google may help you get some answers, there is a planted section on BC aquaria check it for some info cheers Chris.

SeaSerpant
02-12-2008, 02:22 AM
going to buy some amano shrimp tommorow and then will post some pics. (if they have them in stock)

fatpuffer
02-12-2008, 03:00 AM
Try ottos. Worked really well and looks nice in bigger group. They ony grow to 1 inch or so.

Jonah

fish_frenzy
04-14-2008, 07:44 AM
Blue-green algae (cyano bacteria) is toxic to some fish. It will kill your plecos/ottos etc. I learned the hard way. It is actually not an algae, but a group of bacteria capable of photosynthesis. It usually appears in tanks that are overfed or need more water changes, but can occasionally appear in mature, stable tanks. Hope this helps.

Tammy

Keri
04-15-2008, 05:36 AM
Also make sure your tank isn't getting any natural sunlight... I've had luck in the past using something called GreenX (I think?) that removes phosphates. What kind of fish do you have in the tank?

spreerider
04-17-2008, 01:35 AM
i spot treat most algea with peroxide, and do a double dose of excel to kill all the algea in the tank (this wont work for Green Water :O)
if you only have fake plants i would remove them and use 20:1 water:bleach to clean the plants and rocks off, or soak in peroxide for a few minutes will work.

BigFatBalloonMolly
03-05-2009, 05:57 PM
just buy another pleco. Everyone with a freshwater tank should always have a pleco in there tank. They do alot of good for your tank.

Rbacchiega
03-05-2009, 09:17 PM
just buy another pleco. Everyone with a freshwater tank should always have a pleco in there tank. They do alot of good for your tank.

assuming you have a large enough tank for when the pleco grows (depending on species, of course)

If you want a good algae eater that stays relatively small, look at either clown plecos, bristle nose plecos or a group of ottocinlius. But, it's also a far better idea to determine what it is that is causing the sudden outbreak of algae. Test for things like phosphates, go over the photoperiod and make any needed adjustments. When I moved up to higher lighting on my Discus tank I had a huge outbreak, so I shortened the photoperiod and this helped alot too.

Good Luck,