PDA

View Full Version : 75,000 homes in Calgary without power

Brent F
02-11-2008, 05:22 PM
Our power has been out for an hour and a half so far. Tanks are slowly cooling. Down 2 degrees so far.

February 11 south Calgary power outage

11:00 AM February 11-

An early morning sub-station outage in South Calgary, caused by ice fog leading to an equipment failure, has led to further widespread outages in southern parts of the City.

Several sub-stations are involved and areas south of Glenmore are affected. Approximately 75,000 customers are currently without power.

Although the cause of these outages is still under investigation, we believe they are probably due to weather-related conditions, including early morning fog in some areas.

Redundancies in the power system, which are usually compensate for outages, were in this case unavailable due to planned upgrade activities.

Crews are actively working on restoring power as quickly as possible.

digital-audiophile
02-11-2008, 05:26 PM
I live in DouglasGlen and have chatted to the Mrs. a couple times (She's at home on mat leave) She said the power went out at around 7:00 this morning after I left the house but it came back up around 9:00.

Skimmerking
02-11-2008, 05:44 PM
holy crap i hope none of the tanks crashes

Brent F
02-11-2008, 05:59 PM
Luckly it's above freezing here today. Our power is back on. The tanks only dropped 1 - 2 degrees F. There are still 50,000 homes without power for another estimated 1 - 2 hours.

Hopefully we won't hear about tank crashes for the people with a 4 hour power outage

Brent F
02-11-2008, 06:02 PM
They just posted power is up in all houses. No one's power would have been out more than a couple hours.

Delphinus
02-11-2008, 06:07 PM
Was an hour and a half for me. Tanks have been flatlined longer than that for me with no ill effects but nevertheless I am breathing a sigh of relief now that they're back online!

TANGOMAN
02-11-2008, 09:54 PM
I wish I tuned in earlier. This would have been just cause to go home from work! What, folks go home all the time 'cause their kids are sick! Thought it was odd, the streetlights went out just as I drove away this morning. And I thought the city installed a motion sensor for me....

michika
02-11-2008, 09:58 PM
I had flickering power from 7am-10am, then a power outtage from 10 until I think 1pm or 1:30pm. I still have flickering power.

I floated those hand warmers in my tank in ziplock bags, held the temperature steady while the house cooled.

Delphinus
02-11-2008, 10:03 PM
I was late going into work because I had a tech looking at my HRV this morning. The power went out just as I was leaving for work. I turned back because I had this vague recollection of thinking that I needed to clear out my anti-siphon air holes just last night. Sure enough the sump was just starting to overflow as I got home. That sure is interesting trying to mop up spillage without use of your shop vac (my usual #1 tool of response, LOL). Lots of towels got used instead. My basement was eerily silent too, what a weird phenomenon.

Snappy
02-12-2008, 12:38 AM
I was without power for about 2 hours, had a few corals with branches out of the water for several hours after the power came on but everything seemed to take it on the chin. My biggest problem was I found out my sump "emergency" overflow was not sufficient to hold the amount that would drain from all 3 tanks. I miscalculated by about 5 or 6 gallons. I managed to contain most of it but still had a very wet carpet. I am just glad I was home at the time. I am going to rectify this issue right away and have plans for my new sump drawn up as I write this.

i have crabs
02-12-2008, 02:13 AM
no problem here but i did just find out my insurance company would cover all losses due to power outages wich makes me feel a litle better

Oscar
02-12-2008, 03:46 AM
Anyone using a battery backup for something like this?

michika
02-12-2008, 03:51 AM
I do, but I didn't have it set up right and thought that it wasn't fully charged.