PDA

View Full Version : Glass Heater Melt Down

dsaundry
02-11-2008, 03:27 PM
I am sure I am not the only one that has had a glass heater break but I thought I would share this story with you. I was doing a partial water change in my 72g and after changing the water I proceeded to fill my container that I use for my water changes. I was going to do a partial on my 90g the next night. After filling container, I put my heater and powerhead back in. Waited about 15 minutes and turned power on. All good so far-- I went out to my sink and came back just in time to see a glow in the container and could hear the popping sounds inside the bucket. I switched power off and removed lid on container, What a smell!! Removed heater and it came out in [2] pieces.
Had I not noticed this happen it is possible that if the smell dissipated I could have stuck my hand into a charged container. Probably wouldn't short me out too bad, but stung a little. I think I am going to Titanium heaters from now on. I have one in my 55g and it has been very reliable so far.:microwav:

tang daddy
02-12-2008, 02:10 AM
one word stealth!
They have a plastic casing wont crack, break, shatter, bla bla bla
take out of the water plugged in it shuts off put it back in it turns on great IMO.