PDA

View Full Version : Finally found something that will eat nuisance algae.

fatpuffer
02-11-2008, 03:17 AM
I had a bit of "hair algae" in a few pieces of rocks. I thought my snails would eat them but no luck. Finally, I thought about mollies in my fw tank eating algae. I bought a molly and put in the the saltwater. The molly was skittish at first (maybe due to my stupidity of not acclimatizing it first to sw), but now is active and ate all my nuisance algae...even some of the cauleurpa "buds" that was just starting to grow.

Js

chevyjaxon
02-11-2008, 03:37 AM
Wait A Minute, You Can Put Freshwater Fishes In Saltwater??!!

fishoholic
02-11-2008, 03:51 AM
Wait A Minute, You Can Put Freshwater Fishes In Saltwater??!!

Only mollies and they should be very slowly (like for a week) acclimatized first. There are some bracish fish that can go full salt (like a mono) as they get older, but thats another story.

fatpuffer
02-11-2008, 03:57 AM
Yup...mollies, monos, some puffers, etc. can be acclimatized in sw. BUT as fishoholic stated the longer that acclimatization process the better.

Js

mildcustom2
02-11-2008, 04:04 AM
My favorite nuisance algae eater in my 210 gallon reef tank is my 2 sea hares. Absolutely the most efficient algae eater on the planet. They will eat any type of algae you can throw at them.

fatpuffer
02-11-2008, 04:06 AM
Don't have much selection here in Red Deer when it comes to algae eaters. Since the mollies where free...thought I'd try and glad I did.

Js

mildcustom2
02-11-2008, 04:37 AM
Just thought I'd post a pic of my Sea Hare at work.

http://i274.photobucket.com/albums/jj246/mildcustom2/Fish_Pics_Feb_09-08_006.jpg

Snappy
02-11-2008, 04:49 AM
Whenever I put seahares in my tank they alway get sucked into a powerhead.

mildcustom2
02-11-2008, 04:55 AM
Mine are intelligent sea hares and stay away from the powerheads.:lol: Or they are too stupid and can't find the powerheads.:biggrin:

Delphinus
02-11-2008, 07:05 AM
It's weird but they seem to eventually get there and meet their fate. I had seahares that would go on the powerhead intake strainers all the time to no ill effect. And yet, a year in or so, would meet their match on a powerhead intake. Why would it be OK sometimes and not others?

The hands-down best trick I've found for problem algae is boiling water. Squirt some on the algae (pumps and powerheads off for this), it disintegrates within a couple days. Works for valonia too it would seem.

I've got a seahare right now that I was hoping would go after some bryopsis I've got growing on some clam shells. I'm not going to try the boiling water trick on my clams. :eek: But alas, the seahare is not going after it. Sometimes they are a silver bullet for filamentous algae .... but apparently not always. :neutral:

The longest lived seahares I had were ones that I was able to train onto offered food (like broken up algae wafers). I had to hold the food right in front of them though. Otherwise they just walk on by. They're not the brightest tack in the toolbox. :lol: But once onto that, they took a liking to nori (which I feed everyday for my fish anyhow). Those were the ones that lived the longest, the longest I ever had was around 2 years or so. The ones that never did take to offered food though, never lasted more than a couple of months for me.

Anyhow I just share this last info in the hopes it's helpful to someone. My $0.02 basically. And that, coupled with two pennies .. gives you .. um .. not quite enough for a double-double at Timmies. :lol: But hey, I offer it nonetheless. :)

jslaney
02-13-2008, 03:37 AM
Hey just wondering how that molly is doing? is it still kicking?

fishoholic
02-13-2008, 04:30 AM
The hands-down best trick I've found for problem algae is boiling water. Squirt some on the algae (pumps and powerheads off for this), it disintegrates within a couple days. Works for valonia too it would seem.

My trick is my tangs :mrgreen: My Naso even eats valonia

fatpuffer
02-13-2008, 06:17 AM
My mollie is doing GREAT! He is swimming around and not skittish anymore. He is eating like a pig. Cleared all the hair algae so I drop some seaweed and pellets for all the fish now.

He is a nice contrast to the clown and coral beauty. He is white with black specks.

Jonah