PDA

View Full Version : need help with rverse osmosis system

mrcopitr
02-12-2002, 09:56 PM
Hi guys,

just hooked up my reverse osmosis system tonight. It is reef pure 100 gal with di.

I have 40 pds pressure and the system barely produce a slow drip...it does not look like it would produce a 100 gal per day. Is this normal?

Also should the 3 cartridges be full of water at all time, the third compartiment on mine is never full of water....

Please give me your opinion on this

Best regards

Marco

Bryan
02-13-2002, 02:31 AM
You're going to need a booster pump. RO filters operate at their capacity at 75 p.s.i

Gordoe
02-13-2002, 08:10 PM
Marco I have a 50GPD reefpure and the DI cartridge doesn't fill up either..
The slow trickle is right.

Don't hesitate to send a message to Dave. Great guy to deal with.

I have found that if I use warmer water, the flow is a bit quicker.

Hope that helps,
Gord

Jack
02-13-2002, 10:29 PM
Some ro/di's don't pump out as much as they say. It's kinda crap becuase unless you have the ideal/specific water parameters (which includes temp, water pressure, TDS, ect) The effluent will not be around the specified GPD. I have heard so many stories about kent 50gpd's pumping 10gpd, etc. The only thing I can see as far as being a pain is initally filling your tank, other than that I hardly doubt evap or anything like that will exeed 100gpd (even if you don't get that much per day) That's why I find buying anything more than a 50GPD unit is a waste of money.

canadawest
02-13-2002, 11:40 PM
Marco, check out the link below which has some interesting observations on RO/DI unit water production.

Canreef RO/DI Discussion (http://www.canreef.com/ubb6/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic&f=11&t=000005)

And yes, your DI cartridge is never full, only the first two are. The DI cartridge is only getting water slowly from the RO membrane, and is spitting out the processed water about as quickly as it is coming in.

mrcopitr
02-14-2002, 02:28 AM
Thank you all for the info on the r/o. I'm setting my first reef tank on the week end...just ordered a 100 pds of semi cured live rock from J&L..they are arriving on saturday...I just hope everything will up and running...

best regards
Marco

Shadetree
02-14-2002, 02:31 AM
Marco,

Good advice has already been given and the link Andrew gave you will sum it up. Good luck with the setup this weekend.

Scott

Jack
02-14-2002, 02:50 AM
Hey marco, i got 50lbs of that uncured rock from JL. It is amazing! It almost looks like tonga to me, very cool for Figi rock though. Lots of incredible shapes and colours, you are going to be one happy reefer images/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif