PDA

View Full Version : Excess Heat on HQI JBJ Nano

KennyKen
02-09-2008, 11:31 PM
So my resting temp when the MH is not on is 72-74
soon as i put that MH on it jumps up to around 81-82.

What am i going to do to rectify this?? I really dont want to have to get a chiller, as i am really strapped for dough right now,

dsaundry
02-09-2008, 11:35 PM
Is your lid open or closed, if it is closed,,open it.. you can get small cooling fans cheap too...if it gets that hot now..what about the summer???:biggrin:

Brent F
02-10-2008, 12:33 AM
can you raise the light a bit?

RonPeter
02-10-2008, 01:11 AM
I run my main tank at 81 so there isn't that great of a temperature change from night to day. Can you install a heater to keep your tank temp around 78-80 so it isn't such a huge fluctuation?

KennyKen
02-10-2008, 07:43 AM
Is your lid open or closed, if it is closed,,open it.. you can get small cooling fans cheap too...if it gets that hot now..what about the summer???:biggrin:

well i have A/C for the summer, but still. Lid is open,
Whats the max temp that is harmfull for the fish and corals.

I was thinking of putting the heater on a timer with actinics, and have them off during MH hours. Or just set the heater higher so there isnt such a fluctuation

chevyjaxon
02-10-2008, 08:07 AM
well i have A/C for the summer, but still. Lid is open,
Whats the max temp that is harmfull for the fish and corals.

I was thinking of putting the heater on a timer with actinics, and have them off during MH hours. Or just set the heater higher so there isnt such a fluctuation

Im sure that i read this somwhere that anything much more than 30 C will start to bleach "live rock" hope this helps

KennyKen
02-10-2008, 02:58 PM
Im sure that i read this somwhere that anything much more than 30 C will start to bleach "live rock" hope this helps

I think it may have already started to do that, i think a bunch of my coraline has turned white, atleast im pretty sure i didnt buy it like that.

KennyKen
02-10-2008, 04:42 PM
Yea, most of my beautiful green and purple coraline is now white.

is it due to the extreme temp changes that is doing this, or just the 80 degree temperatures.

globaldesigns
03-04-2008, 02:51 AM
I have the same tank with the same problem. Got the 40 gallon JBJ chiller, works very well. No issues with it.

Eduardo
03-04-2008, 05:13 AM
I've got the same tank and had to get a chiller. I was really reluctant to spend the money on a chiller and lived with a fan for a month but couldn't stand the constant evaporation.