PDA

View Full Version : changing system

Reef_Craze
02-09-2008, 06:58 PM
Well, our 55 g is going to start to come down in the next couple of weeks. The tank is a mess, full of nuisance algae and high phosphates, with a canister filter running. The plan is to buy a 35 gallon tank and situate it next to the main system. This new tank is gonna be filled with water from the water changes done to the display tank to minimize the stress of the change on the inhabitants. While the fish and inverts are waiting in the temporary tank, the display will be taken to get two 1" holes drilled into the back wall (bottom of the tank is tempered :sad: ). I will also be throwing out our old live, now dead rock, and ordering 65 lbs. of Tonga deep water. I was planning to run a refugium as the main system of filtration, with the excess live rock from the display going into a attached vat next to the ref, the protein skimmer is a Aqua C EV 120 with a mag 5. I don't want to stress the fish out by chasing them all over the tank with a net and clear container. I was planning on using my DIY fish traps, and a stress coat additive when moving the fish. Once the display is back up and running, it's gonna be a mixed reef.

If anyone has any suggestions on what could be done differently to help the fish or the new system the ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks Chris

Chad
02-10-2008, 04:21 PM
I personaly would not throw out your old live rock. Do a search on "cooking" your rock. It will save you a ton of money. Once cooked use for your new tank or sell it to recover some money.

"cooking" rock does not actualy mean putting it on the stove ;) do a search and see..