PDA

View Full Version : acclimating time?

Lance
02-08-2008, 05:55 PM
I am a little confused as to acclimating time for new specimens. I've been accllimating new fish to my QT for about 1 hr., adding about 1 cup of QT water every 15 mins. For inverts I add much smaller amounts of water over a 2 hr period. I haven't lost anything, but am I just lucky? I've read that marine fish should be acclimated for 1 hr to 4 hrs. and inverts as long as 6 to 8 hrs. My LFS does 15 mins. for fish and 1/2 hr for inverts. What gives? What works for you?

Reefer Rob
02-08-2008, 06:00 PM
What your doing sounds about right, that's all I've ever done. You might want to check the salinity of the water before you start and at the finish, if it's way off you may have to go longer.

Lance
02-08-2008, 06:18 PM
What your doing sounds about right, that's all I've ever done. You might want to check the salinity of the water before you start and at the finish, if it's way off you may have to go longer.

Thanks Rob. Yeah I always run a few tests (pH, sallinity) on the bag water before I start. Lance

fishoholic
02-08-2008, 07:19 PM
I confess I have not acclimated any of my fish or inverts. I make sure the sallinty and temp are the same and if the are, or once they are, into the tank they go. Never lost anything yet.

Rippin
02-08-2008, 07:55 PM
I confess I have not acclimated any of my fish or inverts. I make sure the sallinty and temp are the same and if the are, or once they are, into the tank they go. Never lost anything yet.

I'd like to say that I go through a long acclimatiziation period for the fish and corals but I basically just do what fishoholic does (15-20 mins floating the bag, then in the tank they go). No problems so far.
I do use the drip method for inverts though, but's that the only exception.

Sushiman
02-08-2008, 08:16 PM

I've had the same luck also. If I have a "sensitive" specimen like a starfish, SPS or some LPS I may start a IV drip but honestly, a complicated & prolonged acclimation is unecessary MOST of the time.

fishoholic
02-08-2008, 08:32 PM
I've had the same luck also. If I have a "sensitive" specimen like a starfish, SPS or some LPS I may start a IV drip but honestly, a complicated & prolonged acclimation is unecessary MOST of the time.

Good to know that I'm not the only one. I was a little worried about shocking/scaring people.

Reefer Rob
02-08-2008, 08:45 PM
I'm shocked! :surprise:

marie
02-08-2008, 10:10 PM
The only things i spend any time acclimating are shrimp, snails and starfish. Everything else just gets dumped in once the temperature is the same :mrgreen:

Lance
02-08-2008, 11:17 PM
The only things i spend any time acclimating are shrimp, snails and starfish. Everything else just gets dumped in once the temperature is the same :mrgreen:

OK! I guess I'm being a little on the safe side. How long do you QT your fish? If they look disease-free after 2 weeks, I move them to the main tank. Is that about right?

fishoholic
02-09-2008, 12:07 AM
OK! I guess I'm being a little on the safe side. How long do you QT your fish? If they look disease-free after 2 weeks, I move them to the main tank. Is that about right?

Rule of thumb yes. Basically I QT when I get a fish from an unreliable source. Usually within a few days to a week of being in QT you will know if there is something wrong with your fish or not. If I buy the fish from a fellow reefer who's tank is well taken care of, or from a trust worthy store where the fish all look healthy, then I will skip the QT process.

Lance
02-09-2008, 01:32 AM
Rule of thumb yes. Basically I QT when I get a fish from an unreliable source. Usually within a few days to a week of being in QT you will know if there is something wrong with your fish or not. If I buy the fish from a fellow reefer who's tank is well taken care of, or from a trust worthy store where the fish all look healthy, then I will skip the QT process.

I placed an order in to Ocean Aquatics in Delta, BC. I hear their livestock is pretty well cared for. Anyone have any problems with them?

marie
02-09-2008, 03:33 AM
Negative feedback about retailers is frowned upon on canreef because it usually turns into an all out, free for all fight and the retailer gets upset. So if your searching for feedback, look for positive comments :mrgreen:

I think you'll find OA has a pretty good track record here on canreef

Lance
02-09-2008, 03:59 AM
Negative feedback about retailers is frowned upon on canreef because it usually turns into an all out, free for all fight and the retailer gets upset. So if your searching for feedback, look for positive comments :mrgreen:

I think you'll find OA has a pretty good track record here on canreef

Thanks Marie. I'll remember that.

bv_reefer
02-09-2008, 05:39 AM
i drip my corals with airline tubing, when the bag is full i spill half and repeat that about 3 times, same for fish, probably a little too much but i don't know, never lost anything so far.

Palster
02-09-2008, 06:02 AM
Interesting thread. I have kept freshwater Cichlid tanks for years and never really worried a lot about the acclimation process with these fish (never lost any when introducing them) but when I started my first Saltwater tank I spent a lot more time acclimating these fish but now I basically float the bag for about 15 minutes to equalize the temperatuer and then spend about 30 minutes gradually nmixing the bag that the fish came in with tank water. So far I havent lost any fish during the acclimation process.

Doug
02-09-2008, 02:41 PM
I usally spend an hour or two, depending on what species & where they came from. If from someone with similar conditions and not to far away, I dont spend to long.

One thing I usually do, is remove them from the bags and place them in larger tubs, clipped on to the edge of the tank or sump. Easier to work with and if coming off a long trip, gets them out of the oxygen deprived bag.