PDA

View Full Version : Eco Rox

hillbillyreefer
02-08-2008, 06:36 AM
Does anyone in Edmonton sell this product? I would like to add a little more rock to my tanks and don't want to deal with hitchers, or cycles. Small pieces would also make pretty good frag plugs I'm thinking. I've made DIY rock it's alright, but I'd like something with a more natural look before being encrusted in coraline.

TIA
Brad

fkshiu
02-08-2008, 07:02 PM
I believe that bulkreefsupply.com (which just happens to be a site sponsor) carries EcoRox. Not sure if anyone in Canada does.

sharuq1
02-08-2008, 11:36 PM
It would sure be nice if one of the stores around AB would choose to sell this stuff, then we wouldn't get u-know-whatted on shipping/import charges/ups, etc.....

fkshiu
02-09-2008, 12:01 AM
I don't want to sound like an ad for bulkreefsupply but they've tamed the UPS demon by arranging a flat brokerage fee of $10 or something like that for all Canadian orders which helps.

fishmaster
02-09-2008, 03:01 AM
I did a moch order for 100lbs of eco-rox. The shipping will be $161!!!!!!! Do any vendors in Canada stock caribsea lacerock? How much per 50lb box?

hillbillyreefer
02-09-2008, 03:44 AM
I saw it on one of the big box sites last night. Can't remember the price though. $150 for 50 lbs.

Lance
02-22-2008, 12:17 AM
Does anyone in Edmonton sell this product? I would like to add a little more rock to my tanks and don't want to deal with hitchers, or cycles. Small pieces would also make pretty good frag plugs I'm thinking. I've made DIY rock it's alright, but I'd like something with a more natural look before being encrusted in coraline.

TIA
Brad

I just received 30 lbs. from Bulk Reef Supply. Dry Fiji rock. It looks real nice. Very porous with irregular shapes. Quite happy with it. After taxes, shipping, import charges, etc. it worked out to $4.85 lb. Not a great price, but 30 lbs. of dry, porous, rock looks like a lot more than regular live rock because it is so light.

hillbillyreefer
02-22-2008, 01:12 AM
I found a couple pieces of dry rock in one of the big box stores bins that looked like they'd work on Monday. It was stupid expensive at $3 something a pound too. Would make better base rock than anything but still fairly porous. It'll work for what I want to do with it with no fear of bad hitchers.

The weight issue is a bonus buying dry, not paying a bunch of green for water. Lance would you care to guess the difference in volume of LR versus the dry stuff? Would there be 50% more volume in the dry?

Lance
02-22-2008, 03:31 AM
I found a couple pieces of dry rock in one of the big box stores bins that looked like they'd work on Monday. It was stupid expensive at $3 something a pound too. Would make better base rock than anything but still fairly porous. It'll work for what I want to do with it with no fear of bad hitchers.

The weight issue is a bonus buying dry, not paying a bunch of green for water. Lance would you care to guess the difference in volume of LR versus the dry stuff? Would there be 50% more volume in the dry?

To answer your question I weighed a piece of live rock from the QT tank (It was 4 lbs) 4 lbs in the dry rock was probably a little less than 1.5 x the size. The live rock was a pretty lousy piece though, not very porous at all.

hillbillyreefer
02-22-2008, 04:36 AM
That was my rough guess too. About 50% bigger dry rock. Hard to be really scientific, because of density differences etc, etc. Thanks for the info Lance.

Lance
02-22-2008, 04:38 AM
That was my rough guess too. About 50% bigger dry rock. Hard to be really scientific, because of density differences etc, etc. Thanks for the info Lance.

You're Welcome:biggrin: