PDA

View Full Version : Well I'm back after 2 months

Skimmerking
02-17-2003, 02:03 PM
Well I'm getting back into the Reef side again... :lol: I thought that i wouldnt either well you know it all started at breakfast with the wife. :wink: I was sitting there at the dining room table and, she asked me I would love to have a tred machine. I told her ya it would be great. Then i told here I wouild love to move the tank up into the dining room to have a BOW FLEX down there. 8) Well Guess what she said. Would it be great if we could have a long slendwer tank up here in the dining room with SALT WATER in there, so we could what it while we EAT !!!!!!!!!. She said "I'M I INSANE.... :D I TOLD HERE"NO" "LET'S DO IT"... Well THat was it I finally got here to bite in salt water. It must of been the Supper at the fancey resturant that got her going.

Due to I asked here during supper, "Why did tyou not like the tank. She told me I went to fast. :roll: SO thjis weekend I told her I wouldn't go fast , I would go slow.. :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

Will keeep ya informed...

MIKE

Canadian
02-18-2003, 06:50 PM
On a somewhat related note: don't waste your money on a Bowflex machine. If you intend to do resistance training in your home get a set of free weights, adjustable bench, and maybe a rack, etc. You'll be cursing the Bowflex in no time due to its lack of variety, minimal resistance, and so forth.

Trust me.

Skimmerking
02-18-2003, 07:53 PM
:) I have all ready had them Being in the Military i have a huge gym i train at on base. So i take it you work out? How long have you been working out for?
I' ve been working out since 96. I got into it when i first went to bosnia in 94.
It's hard working out I find being in the Army and even during hockey season. very demanding and exhausting.

ya but, I have had the racks Barbells, dumbells ,have tried all .I thought that the bow flex was good, i was looking at the gold plus I think it is.
any way thanks for the input. much apprecaited

mike

Canadian
02-19-2003, 01:58 AM
I've been weight training for almost 10 years now. I'm finishing up my degree in kinesiology and will be starting my masters degree in physiotherapy so it's not as if I'm blowing smoke out of my *posterior* when I suggest you stay away from the Bowflex. One of the major problems with the Bowflex is that whatever bar you're using is in some way attached to a cable in order to supply resistance via the stupid rubber bands. This leads to huge problems when trying to vary your hand position on movements such as a flat bench press. Furthermore, without getting too in depth regarding motor unit recruitment and training of the nervous system, the use of free weights translates in to far greater functional strength due to the recruitment of the multitude of agonist/stabilizer muscles needed when using dumbbells or even a barbell for that matter (when compared to a rubber band machine).

If your goal is to train for strength you would be well served if you worked primarilly on major compound movements such as squats, bench press, military press, dead lifts, pull-ups, cleans, etc. Good luck doing effective cleans, squats, dead lifts, etc on a Bowflex.

Even if you're intending to focus on bodybuilding, the majority of your hypertrophy comes from handling heavy weights during compound movements as opposed to cutesy things like high cable biceps curls that you see so many morons in the gym doing ad nauseum (PS sorry if I've offended any of you morons who do high cable biceps curls ad nauseum ;) ).

StirCrazy
02-19-2003, 02:39 AM
(PS sorry if I've offended any of you morons who do high cable biceps curls ad nauseum ;) ).

Only when some joker ties a rope to my beer :shock: :wink:

Steve

Skimmerking
02-19-2003, 12:44 PM
THanks Andrew for the advice much apprecaited

mike a soon to be reefer again