PDA

View Full Version : Algae ID pls (w/pic)

jasond
02-05-2008, 11:58 PM
I have searched canreef and cant seem to find what this is. It is yellowy/brown, and slimy looking. It is not cyano, as I am lucky enough to have already had that. This stuff is where there is slower water movement, but I cant seem to get it to stop spreading. Any thouhts?

Any help appreciated!

Jason

mark
02-06-2008, 12:00 AM
it's really hard to tell from the photo but do a search for lobophora, might be that.

jasond
02-06-2008, 12:08 AM
Ya I know, crappy picture, I took a bunch but it is hard to get a good clear one. Thanks, I will give that a shot.

sharuq1
02-06-2008, 01:57 AM
dunno..diatoms? dinos? hair algae that isn't very happy?

Joe Reefer
02-06-2008, 02:10 AM
If thats the only patch of it I wouldn't worry about it right now. When it gets bigger maybe you can take a better picture. If you don't like it pull it off and discard it. From that picture my guess is booger.

jasond
02-06-2008, 04:22 AM
dunno..diatoms? dinos? hair algae that isn't very happy?

Great, I cant even grow a good crop of hair algae! haha, I have proved my skill at that in the past, I will considered it mastered :biggrin: . I am thinking maybe the beginning of diatoms, as there seems to be a couple bubble looking things. It seems to be one thing after the other!!! Do these algae cycles go away as the tank matures, or is it just a constant fight till you have your water params in good order?

Der_Iron_Chef
02-06-2008, 04:28 AM
Even experienced reefers struggle at times with things like cyanobacteria and diatoms. However, because things seem to be less stable in a newer tank, these seem to be more common.

I have never battled diatoms, so perhaps some others can chime in with advice/suggestions....if that is, indeed, what it is.