PDA

View Full Version : Sand Bed Clumping

Andy
02-17-2003, 01:06 AM
Hello

Over the last several months, I have noticed that my sand bed is clumping (cementing) in places. I'm using CaribSea Select aragonite sand. My alkalinity is at 9 dKH (3.3 meq/l) and calcium is between 400 and 450 ppm. I use a calcium reactor and kalkreactor to keep calcium and alkalinity at their current levels. pH ranges from 8.15 to 8.3 daily. I usually don't touch the sand bed. I have 3 cucumbers that spend most of their time in the sand. No other sand sifters. Does anyone have any suggestions as to why the clumping is occurring and what I might do to prevent it.

Any ideas.

Thanks,

Andy

pocilipora
02-17-2003, 05:04 AM
How long has the tank been set up?

Andy
02-17-2003, 10:40 AM
14 months

Doug
02-17-2003, 01:19 PM
Andy, causes seem to range from the addition of 2-parts or kalk, {esp. precipitate}, being added to fast or large amounts, to

the natural secretion from the bacteria living in there. The suggested correction is not doing the above, {I assume thats not your problem however} and the correct amout of livestock in the sandbed to keep it turned over. I believe thats one of Rons first comments, when installing a sandbed.

Lots of worms are needed in the bed. Cucs as you have already. The various snails that exist in the sandbed, seem to be one of the most important. Lots of them and several conches seem to help. Sand sifting starfish and gobies also work, but will eat your sandbed fauna. Gobies can eat other foods, but the starfish usually starve to death, once they destroy the sandbeds life.

Depending on what you have already, the sanbed in that large tank could have at least 100, plus nassarius snails and several fighting conch. One must remember that nassasius snails do reqiure feeding though.

Andy
02-18-2003, 01:04 PM
Hi Doug

Thanks for the tips. I just ordered 100 nassarius snails and will order more if they help the situation. Where do you find fighting conchs. One of my lfs owners told me that they have been banned for export. Any truth to this.

Doug
02-18-2003, 01:52 PM
First I heard of that Andy. I thought they were farm bred, like Trochus snails?

I purchased mine from Jayson @ SaltwaterConnection. I know that AJ also sells them or did, @ Aquarium Pros

Remember to feed your nassarius snails to keep them happy. They will eat crap and turn the sandbed, but need meaty food to survive. Look like monsters from the deep coming out at feeding time. :lol: If one feeds a lot, then direct feeding is not needed as much. I use to just throw an extra bunch of mysis or brine shrimp in. They do climb on the glass also and sometimes into overflows, etc.

The conches dont seem to eat tank food, but crap on the sandbed surface. They love algae on the sand, esp red slime. :lol: I have never seen a conch anywhere but on the sandbed itself, or under it.

Andy
02-21-2003, 02:43 AM
Doug

I put 100 Nassarius snails into the 280 tonight. What a show! As soon as I put them on the sand, they started burrowing. Within seconds they were gone. When I fed tonight, all of them resurfaced and started cruising the sand surface looking for scraps. They sure must have very sensitive senses. I'm pretty sure they are going to keep the upper surface of my sand bed moving. Do they move under the sand once they are burrowed in or do they stay put. Anyone know? All I need now are a few fighting conchs. How much do they normally go for? My LFS quoted me a price of $20-30 each. They aren't that much normally are they?

StirCrazy
02-21-2003, 03:04 AM
you should be able to find them for around 15.00 each

Steve

Doug
02-21-2003, 02:00 PM
I would assume they cruise around under there Andy. Not really sure though. Yes, its seems they are super sensitive to food being added. Worse than my dogs, when they hear the fridge open. :lol:

Like Steve said, $15. We all purchased ours from Jayson for $14.99 each.

Andy
02-21-2003, 02:40 PM
How many would you put in a 280 reef.

StirCrazy
02-21-2003, 03:37 PM
depends.. you need 2 square feet of open sand bed for each one. I have one in my 94 gal now and he does a good job.

Steve