PDA

View Full Version : Cured or Uncured?

whaase
02-16-2003, 10:14 PM
Do local stores sell cured or uncured rock? Where do you guys/girls buy from localy?

Walter

Bob I
02-16-2003, 11:58 PM
I guess it is only partly cured when it arrives, and it cures while in their tanks. I usually buy only a piece, and I stick it into the tank right away. I have gotten some real nice Fiji, and Samoa rock from Wai's. That was awhile ago. It was quite expensive. :roll:

whaase
02-17-2003, 12:03 AM
Do you still get all the critters I hear about with cured rock?
Has anyone bought from Big Al's or Riverfront or Pieces?

Walter

kari
02-17-2003, 12:29 AM
Just my opinion but if want "live" rock buy it from the box it was shipped in if you can. Just don't add large quantities into a small water volume at one time. Sad to say but there's always things that don't make it thru the ride. If you buy the so called "cured" rock that means most of the life has completed the life cycle. Otherwise you may seek man-made or cultured rock.

kari

EmilyB
02-17-2003, 01:13 AM
Most of our rock came from Petland about four years ago, believe it or not. :shock: It was well cured and covered in coraline (Fiji). Awesome rock. They no longer deal in SW, and had long ago lost the people who knew the process anyway...

Over the past couple years I have ordered several boxes of uncured Fiji from J&L so that I could enjoy the curing process.... :roll: I was very happy with the selection. It comes right in the boxes from Walt Smith, and arrived with a nice healthy ocean smell. (Not for long of course.....lol)

I still watch for unique shaped pieces while I am out and about.

I bought some Caribbean rock once and I didn't like it.....flat non-porous shelf rock.

ed99
02-20-2003, 04:25 AM
I bought live rock from Big Al's late last year. I'm no expert but it seems pretty good. This stuff was from Marshall Islands. It's very porous and has lots of surface area, and after a couple of months in my tank I've got good coraline algae growth over quite a bit of it. It was expensive though now that I've done some comparison on-line. I'm actually in the market for about 50 lbs, so if anybody wants to share an order from J&L or other, let me know.

Ed

Canadian Man
02-20-2003, 04:37 AM
Welcome
ED99

AJ_77
02-20-2003, 01:41 PM
Ed - Jayson at SWC had some rock on sale that sounds a lot like the Marshall Island you describe.

Have I welcomed you yet? :wink:

ed99
02-21-2003, 04:53 AM
Thanks guys. You'll be hearing more from me, especially since I have a second tank starting up, complements of Alan.

Thanks Alan for the tip on SWC. I'll check with them and see what they have. Most of the new stuff will go in the 33 but I'd like to put a bit more in the 92, and maybe it would look better to get more of the same stuff.

Anybody out there who wants to share shipping on a LR order?