PDA

View Full Version : 120g..help me out here

sharuq1
02-05-2008, 03:31 PM
I have a 120g I am converting in the next couple of months to salt. I intend to make it mixed reef. There will be some sps, at the mid to top levels in the tank and I would like a couple clams. My fiance seems to have fallen in love with acro...which could be a problem if we already have a "mixed" reef :lol: but anyhoo if "things" should happen I want to be able to accomadate that and not have to buy new lighting "if"..ya know?

I have been researching for what seems like forever what lighting to get and changed my mind at least as much as I change my clothes. the tank is 4'long x2'deep x2' wide

Options I was thinking of:

1) Tek fixture 6 or 8 bulb...wonder if I will have enough light for the clam/sps though. Don't know whether to go 6 or 8 bulbs. Less heat and power consumption with this option, but I don;t know anyone else who has sps/clams with a tek on a 2' deep tank....

2) x2 250w lumenarcs and a supplemental light I have lying around (it's a parabolic reflector with some smaller t5's) just to have an actinic cycle during the day.

Please help me decide!

mr_alberta
02-05-2008, 03:40 PM
Metal Halides will be the most versatile lighting you can use on any tank, but you have to be prepared to deal with the increased heat, evaporation and humidity. If you plan correctly and deal with those issues, MH are the way to go.

I myself run T5's and will on my next tank. My apartment just gets way too hot in the summer running MH.

Der_Iron_Chef
02-05-2008, 03:45 PM
I run a 36" 8-bulb HO T5 fixture and have kept Croceas successfully. My tank is 20" deep, but the clam is approximately 14-16" away from the light.

Chin_Lee
02-05-2008, 04:24 PM
Save yourself the guessing game and go with the MH's. I used to have a mixed reef and 250W MH were perfect. SPS acros up top and the LPS at the bottom.
If you go with the 14K bulbs, you won't even need atinic supplementing. I use Aquaconnect bulbs and really like the atinic look without supplementing with atinics.

Murminator
02-05-2008, 04:42 PM
I'm with Chin get the MH right off the start you will get there anyway save some headaches later :mrgreen: