PDA

View Full Version : Creating flow

Telford
02-04-2008, 10:51 PM
Would one ever use airstones to create flow in a tank? Do airstones have any viable purpose?

pandafishowner
02-04-2008, 11:10 PM
I thought airstones were just used to add oxygen to tanks? I know I used them on small hospital tanks for my FW fish just because the tanks barely fit filters.

Although I did really like the look of an airstick in the tank before. :lol: :redface:

chevyjaxon
02-04-2008, 11:26 PM
airstones are very useful in a FW tank they promote the exchange of co2 and oxygen in the water im pretty sure its co2 anyways the fish in FW seem to love it :changes:

dsaundry
02-04-2008, 11:30 PM
In a freshwater tank, air stones appear to be creating flow with the bubble stream they produce, but for true flow you will require a powerhead or filter jet...:biggrin:

chevyjaxon
02-04-2008, 11:38 PM
or an AIRCOMPRESSOR hose running at 90 psi no powerhead has got anything on that, although i wouldnt do that if you truly value your fish

likwid
02-05-2008, 12:10 AM
Don't use an airstone unless you want tons of salt creep.

chevyjaxon
02-05-2008, 12:24 AM
Wait a minute you say an airstone can be used in marine as well?

Snappy
02-05-2008, 12:32 AM
I use airstones in my top off resivour to help maintain PH and keep the water fresh.

chevyjaxon
02-05-2008, 12:45 AM
I use airstones in my top off resivour to help maintain PH and keep the water fresh.
but wouldnt that introduce air bubbles to the tank??

Telford
02-05-2008, 01:00 AM
They don't exactly create 'flow' but they do stir the water and create movement. My predicament is that i have a cylinder tank and nowhere to really install a powerhead. Are there any other disadvantages to having an airstone in a saltwater tank?

sharuq1
02-05-2008, 01:40 AM
Could possibly introduce microbubbles, also makes salt creep like mad. Could you maybe try a hydor koralia? I think the magnet feture would enable you to put it on a cylindrical tank.

chevyjaxon
02-05-2008, 01:45 AM
i never asked when i was told about not putting an airstone in a marine tank i guess thats because i was just trying to get the basics at the time i need to know what exactly makes micro bubbles bad anyway?

untamed
02-05-2008, 04:41 AM
If you don't have some kind of surface water removal (to a sump), then an airstone in the tank will turn your tank into a full size protein skimmer. You'll have a good scum on the surface.

When I had my hex tank, I ran the return pump from the sump into a SQWD which split into two opposing outlets in the hex. Every 30 seconds or so, the current would change from clockwise to counterclockwise.

Telford
02-05-2008, 07:12 AM
If you don't have some kind of surface water removal (to a sump), then an airstone in the tank will turn your tank into a full size protein skimmer. You'll have a good scum on the surface.

When I had my hex tank, I ran the return pump from the sump into a SQWD which split into two opposing outlets in the hex. Every 30 seconds or so, the current would change from clockwise to counterclockwise.

So you're saying a airstone in a cylinder tank isn't a bad idea?

Joe Reefer
02-05-2008, 02:27 PM
So you're saying a airstone in a cylinder tank isn't a bad idea?

I think he is joking with you. Using an airstine is not going to help with flow in your tank. There has to be a rock that you can hide a PH behind or hang one up high pointing downwards.

Parker
02-05-2008, 02:53 PM
If you have a cylindrical tank, how about placing a powerhead down in the rock work with a vertical spraybar? You would need to deal with the cord somehow.. If your rock work went to the surface you could hide the cord and the spraybar that way. Depending on the size of the tank you might be able to put something bigger in there, a Mag or some other submersible pump.

You may be able to run it the opposite direction..power at the top of the tank..spraybar facing down.. Need to hide the whole thing in the rocks though, if possible.

mseepman
02-07-2008, 04:35 PM
Telford,

Welcome to Canreef by the way...Always glad to see a fellow Okanaganer on here.

As for creating flow, I'm pretty sure you could run Hydors as their mount is partially suction cup. I have a Hydor 4 that I'm not using right now that we could try with when I'm in Kelowna sometime. I know Hydor Nano's would work because mine is stuck to a curved surface right but the flow is so little that it would do nothing for you. You would need 10 of them to get anything really going. Tunze's are a hard cup mount and will not work for you.

I also don't see why a Seio wouldn't work for you either (it would just take a little modding to the suction cup mounts.

Whatever you decide, you want flow or cyano will become one of your big enemies.

Telford
02-07-2008, 10:43 PM
Mseepman...thanks. I could definetly use help/advice. This is my first tank i've ever set up and i had a guy that was going to help me but he's disappeared so i'm left to figure stuff out on my own. Obviously reading all these different posts etc is a great education but it would be nice for someone with some experience to see what i have first hand. If you are able to come see what i have and answer some question it would be much appreciated. Just PM me and i'll send you my phone number. I live downtown by Prospera Place.

Okguy
02-07-2008, 11:30 PM
Hi Telford, I agree with Mark, you should be able to get some kind of power head in the tank with a couple of slight modifications. But if not you could look at setting up a closed loop system using a SCWD water changer as untamed described... You could probably get some wicked turbulence going in a circular tank. If you're ever in Vernon and want to look at my setup, just let me know.

HTH

Kevin

Telford
02-07-2008, 11:37 PM
Hi Telford, I agree with Mark, you should be able to get some kind of power head in the tank with a couple of slight modifications. But if not you could look at setting up a closed loop system using a SCWD water changer as untamed described... You could probably get some wicked turbulence going in a circular tank. If you're ever in Vernon and want to look at my setup, just let me know.

HTH

Kevin

Thanks...i'll definetly let you know if i'm in the area

argan
02-08-2008, 12:22 AM
you could try just one powerhead directed against the glass, creating a "gyre" or vortex type flow. I use it in my rectangle 55g, but it works better in hex or cylinders.

Never had any cyano problems or dead spots

Telford
02-08-2008, 02:17 AM
you could try just one powerhead directed against the glass, creating a "gyre" or vortex type flow. I use it in my rectangle 55g, but it works better in hex or cylinders.

Never had any cyano problems or dead spots

I currently have the two powerheads directed at the glass, but both come out of one spout so i'm having the feeling that the other 'side' of the tank is getting enough flow. Keep in mind it's a center overflow. 28" diameter, 28" high.