PDA

View Full Version : Snowflake Eel?

Telford
02-04-2008, 05:14 PM
I think i made a mistake. I was told that a snowflake would do fine in my reef by the 'salesman' but he seems pretty aggressive, i've already witnessed him attack and eat a crab. I have a couple of fairly small clowns (1.5 inches), i'm a little concerned for their safety. Anyone have experience with a snowflake eel in a non-predator tank? If i should get him outta there, any ideas how to catch him?

mark
02-04-2008, 06:31 PM
This seems somewhat common, something pushed as 'reef safe' when what is really meant 'coral safe'. Simply, Snowflakes eat fish and crustaceans.

dsaundry
02-04-2008, 07:08 PM
Almost anything that swims or crawls and fits in its mouth is fair game. As for getting it out..Three options that I have heard..Get it at night or with a barbless hook and bait..Tear down the tank and pull him out that way... Good luck.:biggrin:

Pan
02-04-2008, 07:28 PM
Buy bigger fish, give up ornamental crustaceans.

justinl
02-04-2008, 09:51 PM
Snowflake eels fall into the "pebble toothed" eel category. as opposed to the fang toothed piscivorous eels. pebble tooths like the snowflake specialize in crustaceans. not so much in fish; however if they get hungry enough, and that fish can fit into the eel's mouth, then it would be in some danger. Keep the eel well fed (well fed, not over fed) and the fish should probably be fine. How big is the eel? if the eel is small the fish might be in no danger either way.

you can't call your tank a non-predator tank anymore. the eel is a predator.

I hope this teaches you two vital lessons. no impulse buys and dont trust people looking to sell you something too much. do your own research properly!

Telford
02-04-2008, 10:03 PM
He isn't very big at this point. Maybe 12 inches. Is there any other way to feed him other than frozen silverside on a feeding stick? I tried to target feed him with krill but they are too small to put on a stick obviously and when he smells them in the water he starts swimming around lookin for something to attack.

Kabong
02-04-2008, 11:50 PM
They can generally made fish safe, As for crabs and shrimp not likely since its there natural food source.
Here's an artical on reef safe eel's
http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2002-12/fm/index.php

Megalodon
02-05-2008, 01:48 AM
What store was this?

They should be held accountable.

Telford
02-05-2008, 01:53 AM
Jl!

Megalodon
02-05-2008, 03:05 AM
Jl!I was just looking at the JL Aquatics website and all the morays are clearly listed as not reef safe.

Telford
02-05-2008, 03:14 AM
i was in-store...

justinl
02-05-2008, 03:39 AM
it was already mentioned above. the snowflake is coral safe, but not crustacean safe.

Kabong
02-05-2008, 04:20 AM
Really you can't just blame the store on this one.
You should really be doing your own research.
"Reef Safe" is a very loose term to begin with.
Technically they are coral safe and fish safe.
Keep him well fed and he may even be invert safe.
However yes you will have to feed him from a stick.
Feed him then put the krill in for the other fish.