PDA

View Full Version : Another Annoying Load Bearing Question

Jaws
02-04-2008, 05:24 AM
Sorry guys. I hate asking this question but better safe than sorry. I've got a 92G corner bow tank on a stand with canopy and about a 50G sump. Correct me if I'm wrong but I'm estimating a weight of around 2000lbs once totally setup. The tank is in the dining room, above the laundry room, and is tucked into the corner. One of the outer corners of a rectangular house. When you're in the laundry room looking up you can see the floor joists the tank is sitting on. They're 2 by 8's and they're 18" apart. The tank stand is 38" by 38" and is evenly distributed over two floor joists. When looking at a foundation wall in the laundry room, you can see that there is the foundation wall, a floor joist, and then the two floor joists that the tank weight is on. The floor the tank is sitting on is natural hardwood then a layer of what looks like 1 by 4's and then the floor joists. Should I be concerned at all? Any input would be really appreciated. Thanks.

SeaHorse_Fanatic
02-04-2008, 05:52 AM
Having been in this hobby for 30 years, I have yet to hear of or read a verified report of anybody's aquarium going through their floor.

Anybody?

skylord
02-04-2008, 07:22 AM
I wouldnt be worried about it......but you could add a couple of floor joices scabbed along side the two you have for your own peace of mind. Wouldnt be much work being that its all open anyway.

Scott

chevyjaxon
02-04-2008, 11:40 AM
wouldn't worry about it much especially since its in the corner of the room pianos Im sure weigh more than 2000 lbs and people keep them in the house if you truly are still worried go to home depot and buy one of those telescoping support poles to put under the joists

BTW if it does infact fall through the floor please make sure to post pics :lol:

mr_alberta
02-04-2008, 01:54 PM
My boss (structural engineer) claims that he saw one. He said that repeated spills from the aquarium above caused the joists below to partially rot and eventually give. He was pretty vague on the details though so i don't know how much of that is true.

Having been in this hobby for 30 years, I have yet to hear of or read a verified report of anybody's aquarium going through their floor.

Anybody?

Skimmerking
02-04-2008, 06:25 PM
my friend was the same way and the joists are good and still in tack you have nothing to worry about. if its a out side wall your fine the weight is transfered out and causing the out side wall to take the weight..

give her as long as the joist are running across the tank your good

Chin_Lee
02-04-2008, 09:30 PM
My boss (structural engineer) claims that he saw one. He said that repeated spills from the aquarium above caused the joists below to partially rot and eventually give. He was pretty vague on the details though so i don't know how much of that is true.

I would say thats not quite the same as an aquarium going through the floor due to structural intergrity of the floor. That would apply to any flooring or stand if it rotted through

frontline
02-04-2008, 11:26 PM
If you are concerned. The simplest, cheapest, and most effective way would be gluing and screwing plywood to the sides of your joists. Very quick job too. Just cut plywood to length and rip to seven and a half inches. Glue and screw in place. Could even do it with scraps from around a construction site. Will easily strengthen it by 3 or 4 times.