PDA

View Full Version : sugar sand = problems?

SeaSerpant
02-03-2008, 11:21 PM
would sugar sand hurt any fish because i want that kind but i don't know if it's bad for gobies and stuff?

Pan
02-03-2008, 11:48 PM
Only real problem with sugar sand is it gets blown arund so easy, with sugar sand and any sifter or bottom dweller the sand will always be in your water column.

justinl
02-04-2008, 12:36 AM
Only real problem with sugar sand is it gets blown arund so easy, with sugar sand and any sifter or bottom dweller the sand will always be in your water column.

I didn't really experience any of that with my tank. If a large wrasse decides to go on a digging expedition sure it will kick up sand, but it is far from always in the column... sometimes would be a better word. Be sure to rinse the sand vigorously before hand to get rid of the smallest particles.

if you have a sand sifter/dweller you shouldnt have anything but oolitic sand anyways. BB might be okay for most benthic dwellers, but anything more coarse than oolitic calcium based sand would rip up sifters.

Pan
02-04-2008, 01:38 AM
I didn't really experience any of that with my tank. If a large wrasse decides to go on a digging expedition sure it will kick up sand, but it is far from always in the column... sometimes would be a better word. Be sure to rinse the sand vigorously before hand to get rid of the smallest particles.

if you have a sand sifter/dweller you shouldnt have anything but oolitic sand anyways. BB might be okay for most benthic dwellers, but anything more coarse than oolitic calcium based sand would rip up sifters.
Yeah, was just saying if you had sand sifters it would be in the water column....with a lot of flow...i(combine the two, should have been clearer)

Skimmerking
02-04-2008, 02:25 AM
CC is not a good sand for sifters like cukes, wrasses that like to bury them selves. I used SEA CHEM Select. its .5-1.0 mm I love it there is not hardy any sand dust in the sand that makes thesand very silty if you know what I mean, like stated before rinse the sand good in water and then put it in your tank..

god luck

SeaSerpant
02-05-2008, 12:34 AM
wouldn't the sand get in the sand sifters gills or would it matter?

sharuq1
02-05-2008, 01:37 AM
That is basically how they eat. they take in mouthfuls of sand and "sift" it through and out of their gills. That is why oolitic sand is nice. It is not so coarse as to hurt them and it is not teeny weeny either.

SeaSerpant
02-05-2008, 01:42 AM
so sugar sand or oolitic sand are both good sand for a tank. does anyone one have any pictures of oolitic sand? are oolitic sand and sugar sand the basic same thing?

sharuq1
02-05-2008, 01:45 AM
http://www.fish.com/itemdy00.asp?T1=710019%20003

sharuq1
02-05-2008, 01:46 AM
http://www.advancedaquarist.com/2005/2/short

SeaSerpant
02-05-2008, 01:51 AM
where would the best place to buy it be?

SeaSerpant
02-06-2008, 12:30 AM
bump

sharuq1
02-06-2008, 01:56 AM
Honestly, I don't know, but if anyone knows a place to get good, cheap aragonite sand that is oolitic hopefully they will say where and what price.....looking for some soon myself.

SeaSerpant
02-06-2008, 02:15 AM
So oolitic sand is the same thing as sugar but a bit bigger right?

andresont
02-06-2008, 03:26 AM
oolitic means egg shaped.
make sure to soak new sand in RO/DI water for two weeks before introducing to your tank, changing RO/DI water every two days, to get rid of Po4, or when test shows zero Po4.