PDA

View Full Version : Sump size

titus
02-12-2002, 02:08 PM
Hello,

Curious here, how big are your sumps' sizes? I have built separate items before (ie skimmers, sumps, ca reactors) but never quite put together a complete system. Want to do that. But probably not a good idea as I have less than one month to live. images/smiles/icon_eek.gif
Anyway, just that urge and scratchiness I have to handle the power tools. images/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif

UnderWorldAquatics
02-12-2002, 07:25 PM
I usually use large sumps the last one I built is for a 230g tank and it is 48"x20"x20" and has baffles for mud bed with macro algae and plant lighting, has other baffles for skimmer intake, and skimmer return and for seperate return pump. Also has holes for CaReactor in the future if it gets turned into a reef, I like high flow tanks and this lets me use close to 4000gph of total flow on this tank.

farmerjo90
02-12-2002, 08:27 PM
Well, you better live long enough to build my sump and CA reactor. Sounds like you are writing your thesis? images/smiles/icon_mad.gif images/smiles/icon_rolleyes.gif

titus
02-12-2002, 08:32 PM
Hello Shirley,

Yes it'll get done one way or another in a few weeks. My thesis deadline is on 23 Mar 02. By the way, how high is the black box on the bottom of your skimmer?

Troy F
02-12-2002, 08:53 PM
Titus, get back to your studies images/smiles/icon_wink.gif . I guess you don't need my drawings Shirley. Let me know.

terryp01
02-12-2002, 09:39 PM
I have several different style and sizes. What size tank are you looking to build?

BTW, look at the one that Scott (Shadetree) built, I really like his design and set up.

images/smiles/icon_wink.gif

titus
02-12-2002, 09:58 PM
Hello,

I'm just doing a check to see who has what size sumps. And yes, Scott's sump is awesome. I also have a few integrated system design ideas in mind. Well no experimentation for now.

farmerjo90
02-13-2002, 12:52 AM
Hi Titus,
The black box is 6 1/2" tall. When you make skimmers don't make the box black, make it clear so you can see what is going on inside.
I am totally amazed that you have time for any of this with a March deadline for your thesis. Do you have to defend it? What is your thesis about? Just think...how much easier life will be when you finish. The only thing left is your doctorate...he he

Good luck
shirley

Silverfish
02-13-2002, 02:47 AM
Hi Titus, the sump I built for my 55g is 29.5"x15"x15" with a baffled chamber for skimmer supply and return, a refugium in the center, and return pump/ float valve chamber. Water level sits at 12".

titus
02-13-2002, 03:09 AM
Hello Shirley,

Yes yes yes I have to defend it the whole works. I have enough flipping multiple 360x181 matrices and then raising it to multiple exponentials then some multiple integration right now that I don't konw left from right.

Doctorate? images/smiles/icon_eek.gif Who is doing doctorate here?http://jabot2000.homestead.com/files/emoticons/panic2.gif

Titus next project after Master:
1) find a job http://jabot2000.homestead.com/files/emoticons/bash.gif
2) find a woman http://jabot2000.homestead.com/files/emoticons/kiss.gif
3) find some new aquarium projects images/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif
4) find a life images/smiles/icon_cool.gif

farmerjo90
02-13-2002, 07:55 PM
Hey Titus,
I know it all seems pretty damm tough right now but believe me, you will be glad you did it in the end. It will be worth it...you'll get a good job...just wait and see! Hang in there, and mark my words, there will be plenty of women when you are done!

talk to you soon
shirley

Shadetree
02-14-2002, 02:34 AM
Titus,

IMO you put the biggest sump you can fit on a system. Water stability, equipment hiding are the two biggest reasons why. Troy's sump is a great size, especially for a 150 tank, the workmanship is not to bad either images/smiles/icon_wink.gif My sump is 25 gallons while the refugium is 35 gallons only because I could not fit bigger.

Scott