PDA

View Full Version : Aqua Medic or Current USA lighting

rocketlily
02-03-2008, 03:55 PM
I'm starting to look for lights for my new tank, approx 100 gal, diamond shaped. I have a 150 watt MH for the back corner and I will be able to fit a 36" accross the front. The lights I have been looking at online are Aqua Medic or Current USA Outer Orbit's. (Both have 2 - 250 watt MH and 4 - T5's). Does anyone have experience with these, know where to buy them in Canada or have other reccommedations.

chevyjaxon
02-03-2008, 04:16 PM
my skimmer is made by aquamedic seems to work real well the lights i dont know about just my 2 cents on the company

Cameron
02-03-2008, 04:28 PM
I love my current Usa Orbit

SeaShell
02-03-2008, 06:21 PM
I bought the Current USA Outer Orbit with two 250W MH, 4 T5's and 18 moon lights in October.

I love it and highly recommend it.

untamed
02-03-2008, 08:51 PM
I have three of the 4 foot Aquamedic Ocean Light Plus. (2 x 250W DE + 2 x 54W T5) At the time I purchased them, the only places in Canada that had them were charging triple the US$ prices..so I bought them from CustomAquatics.

I will not give them outstanding marks for build quality, but they have worked well and given me no problems. The design shortcuts make it quite an ordeal to do a bulb change.

Of the three ballasts I received, one of them causes the MH to burn with a much redder spectrum. It is also possible that this is because this ballast is the 2nd on the same circuit. (I've never switched them around to find out because the colour shift has not bothered me...)

I don't think the reflectors do a great job of dispersing the MH light, but it does spread the 2 feet that I need it to.

I went with them because I think my longer term solution is probably LED. This gave me good function at a great price.
http://i142.photobucket.com/albums/r118/untamed_photos/Aquarium%20Construction/100_0085.jpg