PDA

View Full Version : Schooling fish

SeaSerpant
02-03-2008, 02:05 AM
what kind of small fish would be good in a 60g aquarium that school?

pandafishowner
02-03-2008, 02:17 AM
chromis?

justinl
02-03-2008, 02:34 AM
imo a 60g is too small for any kind of fsh to show any kind of schooling behaviour... you would need a much bigger tank. in a 60g my guess is that a group of chromis would just pick each other off one at a time.

SeaSerpant
02-03-2008, 02:45 AM
anything else?

fmelindy
02-03-2008, 04:15 AM
maybe some of the smaller schooling cardinals would not be too big of a stretch

Chin_Lee
02-03-2008, 05:03 AM
I haven't been able to find a type of find that stays schooling after extended period of time in a hobby tank. The natural instinct for fish to school is for protection. When you introduce the school of fish into your tank, it will school because it feels threatened. After a period of time when they no longer feel threatened by your presence, they will stop schooling and often display aggression towards each other. Chromis is one such fish that I've had that will pick on the weakest in the school until one or two remain.

Zylumn
02-03-2008, 05:09 AM
I've tried small damsels and as Chin said they stayed together for a couple weeks then aggression started until 2 were left. I am open also for suggestions.
Kevin

untamed
02-03-2008, 05:40 AM
Pigmy Sweepers...but I can't find them available in the stores. Here's a photo I took of them at the Georgia Aquarium.

http://i142.photobucket.com/albums/r118/untamed_photos/Aquarium%20Construction/100_0024.jpg

I suppose this isn't helpful. I want to find a tight schooling fish also. I've been unable (so far) to find a fish that behaves this way and is also one that I can get.

Drock169
02-03-2008, 04:28 PM
chalk bass will school, as well as firefish, but the firefish from angry schools like damsel (except fins to go missing)

mr_alberta
02-03-2008, 05:29 PM
Will chalk bass actually school or will they only school for a while, like Chromis, then kill each other off (like Chromis)?

SeaSerpant
02-03-2008, 07:50 PM
every bit of information helps untamed. thanks. Any more?

fishoholic
02-03-2008, 08:11 PM
I haven't been able to find a type of find that stays schooling after extended period of time in a hobby tank. The natural instinct for fish to school is for protection. When you introduce the school of fish into your tank, it will school because it feels threatened. After a period of time when they no longer feel threatened by your presence, they will stop schooling and often display aggression towards each other. Chromis is one such fish that I've had that will pick on the weakest in the school until one or two remain.

I had 5 chromis in a 120g for a year and they all schooled together, never seen them fight. I now have 8 chromis in our 230g and they all get along and mostly school together, every now and then one wanders away but they always come back together. Maybe they feel threatened by our tangs or juvi emperor and that's why they sick together? Our juvi emperor loves to chase them around every now and then, he doesn't seem to hurt any of the chromis just likes to break them up.

SeaSerpant
02-03-2008, 08:13 PM
maybe. i wouldn't know but wouldn't they get used to each other?