PDA

View Full Version : Bad decisions I have made this week.

rocketlily
02-02-2008, 04:37 AM
Just need to vent about my bad week. As I only have a 20 gal tank, I knew I had to plan very carefully what I put in the tank. I made a list and swore I would stick to it. So after adding some snails 2 weeks ago, all is right with the water and time to add something else.

Bought 2 Tiger Crabs - Haven't seen them since I put them in.

Bought a stripped mushroom (mostly brown) when I really wanted a blue one, but didn't take the time to check out a second store.

Bought a Yellow Tang - It was not on the list of the 3 fish I really wanted to have and when I got it home, I see that it has a small white fuzzy growth on it's dorsal fin. One of my books also states that it is not compatible with invertebrates.

What a bad week for my first week of adding livestock.

Aquattro
02-02-2008, 04:43 AM
Not sure what kind of invert isn't safe with a Yellow Tang!! They're safe with just about anything, maybe nipping at feather dusters...

However, a 20g tank is way too small for a tang.

Delphinus
02-02-2008, 04:45 AM
Don't beat yourself up too bad. Live and learn. The crabs ... well odds are they are fine, just hiding in spots you didn't even know existed in your live rock. Crabs are good at that.

But here's the bad news. The yellow tang really doesn't belong in a 20g. Maybe if he's small for now but he'll outgrow that tank in a matter of months. As for invertebrates though they are usually safe with them.

Reefer Rob
02-02-2008, 04:49 AM
A Yellow Tang? They're peaceful with everything except perhaps other tangs and other yellow fish. It will out-grow your 20G and you'll be upgrading in 2 months though. If the fish is eating well and not in any distress, and the growth doesn't get larger, wait and see if the fuzzy growth disappears

You mean you didn't get the blue shroom too? Such restraint. How do you do it?

rocketlily
02-02-2008, 04:54 AM
Well, I did forget to mention that I also bought 2 featherduster worms at the same time as the Tang. Store owner said they would be fine together. If all goes well over the next few weeks with the Tang, I'll probably go back and buy the Blue Mushroom.

skylord
02-02-2008, 05:25 AM
Did the store know you were going to put a Tang in your 20g? If they did you need to find a new place to spend your money. I would take the tang back and get the mushroom. The mushroom will survive.

Scott

fishoholic
02-02-2008, 01:53 PM
Tangs need a much bigger tank (90g) to be happy in. They may seem ok in a little tank for a short period of time but you'd be amazed at how differently they act in a proper sized tank. We had a Naso tang in our 30g for one month while we set up our 230g tank and the whole time he was in there I was surprised because he "seemed" ok. However he always looked a little dark (in colour) to me, just thought he wasn't as bright as I thought naso tangs were supposed to be. As soon as he went into the 230g he got a lot brighter and you could notice a big difference in his behavior, almost like he wasn't depressed anymore.

atcguy
02-02-2008, 04:51 PM
agreed,, you just put your tang in prison... Save him from lethal injection , take him back

Myka
02-02-2008, 05:53 PM
Bought a Yellow Tang - It was not on the list of the 3 fish I really wanted to have and when I got it home, I see that it has a small white fuzzy growth on it's dorsal fin. One of my books also states that it is not compatible with invertebrates.

A Yellow Tang is not compatible with a 20g tank. No matter what size the fish is! Please take it back.

rocketlily
02-03-2008, 04:33 AM
I'll be ordering my new 90 - 100 gal next week. He should be OK for a couple of months.

andresont
02-03-2008, 07:14 AM
I'll be ordering my new 90 - 100 gal next week. He should be OK for a couple of months.

Go with 120 gal same langth but wider, (4x2x2) and holds more water.

tang daddy
02-03-2008, 08:11 AM
120 all the way!!

chevyjaxon
02-03-2008, 03:34 PM
my yellow tang is in a 90 gal he seems real happy with it the crabs and damsels i have get along real nice with him too you live in edmonton? try a concept aquarium that is the company's name they are located in the west end. nice tanks

rocketlily
02-03-2008, 03:49 PM
I need a corner tank, so I'm going with a diamond shape and ordering from Chris at Aquarium Enthusiasts. His prices on custom tanks are pretty good, along with good service.

chevyjaxon
02-03-2008, 03:59 PM
chris also stocks concept aquariums that is where i picked mine up at oops guess i forgot to mention that chris is awesome he helped me even get my tank home total price for a 90gal was around 300.00 without the stand kinda nice to know that you are buying a locally made tank, I thought.

rocketlily
02-03-2008, 04:13 PM
I also forgot to mention that Chris's store is not the store I bought the Tang at. I'm pretty sure he would not have sold me one. But I guess this is how we learn where to shop.

fishoholic
02-03-2008, 08:22 PM

Good to know, I'm glad you're upgrading.