PDA

View Full Version : newbie questions

Starry
02-01-2008, 06:31 PM
Hi all!

Excuse the noob questions, but I have a few.

1: Do pods molt like shrimp? I'm finding pod skins swirling around in my tank from time to time.

2: Would 2 96 watt CF tubes combined with a 70 watt MH be enough for most LPS? Tank is 36x12x18. (33 Gallons)

3: Does Jarkarta LR or Fiji LR have better shape and pourisity (if thats a word)?:biggrin: I have 27lbs of cured fiji in right now, but want to get another 20 to be cured in the 20 gallon I bought with the 27lbs of Fiji LR. (also included the 70w MH)

4: The rock came with a 3 zoos and some other type of poyp attached and 2 of the zoos are doing fine, but 1 of the zoo polyps never opens, any idea why this would be?

5: What would cause coraline on LR to fade from purple to mauve?

Thanks

Starry:Fade-col:

niloc16
02-01-2008, 06:39 PM
[QUOTE=Starry;298480]Hi all!

Excuse the noob questions, but I have a few.

1: Do pods molt like shrimp? I'm finding pod skins swirling around in my tank from time to time.

yes they do molt

2: Would 2 96 watt CF tubes combined with a 70 watt MH be enough for most LPS? Tank is 36x12x18. (33 Gallons)

the 70 watt mh should be enough, you may have to move some pieces higher up in the tank if they are suffering

3: Does Jarkarta LR or Fiji LR have better shape and pourisity (if thats a word)?:biggrin: I have 27lbs of cured fiji in right now, but want to get another 20 to be cured in the 20 gallon I bought with the 27lbs of Fiji LR. (also included the 70w MH)

LR shapes is totally irregular in my opinion. just take your time and pick through them all to find the pieces you want

4: The rock came with a 3 zoos and some other type of poyp attached and 2 of the zoos are doing fine, but 1 of the zoo polyps never opens, any idea why this would be?

sometimes zoanthids will not open for a couple days after shipping or moving or stress. i wouldnt worry too much.

5: What would cause coraline on LR to fade from purple to mauve?

coraline comes in all different colors.

hope this helps

colin

Starry
02-01-2008, 07:01 PM
I'll be ordering the rock so cant hand pick my rock. LR is like $10 a lb here, can get it way cheaper from the coast.

Starry

Brent F
02-01-2008, 10:43 PM
I bought 100 lb of Jakata ordered from the coast a month ago (ordered 100 lb for three tanks and had it shipped outvia Westjet). Here's what it looked like day one:
http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=291835#post291835

The thread has a bunch more pictures of it.