PDA

View Full Version : Seahorse

Diane/Reg
02-01-2008, 02:44 PM
I have just recently purchased a pair of seahorses and I observed them doing the mating dance the other day since then they are staying away from each other and the male spends alot of time hanging upside down. Is this normal

SeaHorse_Fanatic
02-01-2008, 03:03 PM
Not really. In the past, after mating, my seahorses hung out together.

tang daddy
02-01-2008, 03:06 PM
where is irricana?

Diane/Reg
02-01-2008, 03:19 PM
20 min from Airdrie

tgoeujon
04-06-2008, 11:13 PM
sorry to change your topic a bit but i just purchased a seahorse and he seems to have a hard time getting away from the top of the tank upside down. like hes full of air any ideas what could cause this?

howdy20012002
04-07-2008, 12:32 AM
the male's pouch is likely full of air.
you will need to manually evacuate the air.
if you don't, he will most likely die.
http://seahorse.org/ will give you the instructions on how to do this.
HTH
Neal

bulletsworld
06-16-2008, 06:40 AM
the male's pouch is likely full of air.
you will need to manually evacuate the air.
if you don't, he will most likely die.
http://seahorse.org/ will give you the instructions on how to do this.
HTH
Neal

He's very right here. If you don't do this, your seahorse will die. If the sac doesn't rid the air you will have to continue to do this. Its a very intense process and may take a few times to do to get all the air out of his sac. Most seahorses die this way (Bubble disease). If you have any air stones OR a skimmer OR filter that creates bubbles in your tank, you must fix stop it. Or this will continue to happen to your seahorse. Seahorses are very hard to keep because of this.

Seahorse org is the best informational website for this. But if you need help here, just ask. We can walk you through the process. Be careful not to bruise the seahorses sac. Best of luck.

reefshark
08-02-2008, 01:46 AM
I have just recently purchased a pair of seahorses and I observed them doing the mating dance the other day since then they are staying away from each other and the male spends alot of time hanging upside down. Is this normal

Do you know what species they are? it depends on the species some like for example h. erectus only hang out in pairs when they want to do the deed.