PDA

View Full Version : Quarantining in a refugium (placed off line)

mark
01-31-2008, 10:00 PM
Had always thought about this but getting a fish so now putting out for comment. Getting a Potter's Angel and thinking the mainly macro ref would be a better place to stay rather than a bare 15g with PVC fittings

Have a 20g ref separate from my sump. Can easily be isolated from rest of the system by existing valves. Worst case if ich or something else develops I move the fish to a bare dedicated QT, and let the 20g ref go fish fallow.

About the only negative is I wouldn't have a ref in-line, but that's if can be worked around by putting the macro in the sump (how I was running before I added the separate refugium).

Old picture, 20g to the right

http://i67.photobucket.com/albums/h316/das75/sump_ref.jpg

phillybean
01-31-2008, 11:08 PM
I would just put the macro alage in the 15 Gallon. If there is ICH and you move the Macro Alage to the sump, some would hitchhike on the Macro alage wouldn't it?

mark
02-01-2008, 12:24 AM
I would just put the macro alage in the 15 Gallon. If there is ICH and you move the Macro Alage to the sump, some would hitchhike on the Macro alage wouldn't it?

If I was to move the macro (chaeto only) it would be before I place the fish.

I wouldn't even put water in the 15g unless the fish showed signs of ich or some other problem and thought best to treat in a BB QT. Would assume then the macro remaining and LR in the ref had it so would just leave in place in the 20g.

Skimmerking
02-01-2008, 01:54 AM
Mark I love your setup of the 20 gal and the sump IMO I think that having the refugium with the fish in there would be good since angels are pod lovers too right well most of the time they are nipping in there and if you want you could always set a clam of sps in there to see if the potter is going to nip at it.

like place in a sps and then feed see what he is going to go after, because once its n then the fish has free rein. If you are running ozone then running it with the tank online would help with any bacteria or disease too since the ozone will kill them off.

Delphinus
02-01-2008, 04:24 AM
I like your idea. I think the fish will adapt quicker in that kind of environment. Awesome setup BTW.

mark
02-01-2008, 04:59 AM
Thanks guys.

Well Potter's in the ref with CSS65 skimmer and heater. Left all the macro in as have some Halimeda in the display.