PDA

View Full Version : Planted tank pics

trilinearmipmap
02-15-2003, 08:26 PM
Well here (http://www.rupert.net/~mryeburn/pictures.htm) are some pics of my planted FW tank and my plant trading website. The pics aren't so good as I am still learning my digital camera.

I am lurking on these boards seeking to set up a reef sometime soon.

MitchM
02-16-2003, 04:20 AM
Very nice!

.......(I'm starting to miss freshwater....)

Mitch :)

Canadian Man
02-16-2003, 05:34 AM
Nice pics!
My angels just laid some eggs this morning! Again :roll:

Dorkel Marine 1
02-16-2003, 07:16 AM
Your photos are good. Don't be so modest. Nice looking tanks. I'm looking forward one day to putting more light over my 77 gal plus a new substrate. But right now this addiction to saltwater has me spending my money on the reef.

Curious the 33 gal. What lighting did you use to get the 90watts of light.

George and family

Son Of Skyline
02-16-2003, 08:46 AM
Beautiful tanks! How much time do you spend trimming the plants?

trilinearmipmap
02-16-2003, 03:55 PM
George:

To get 90 watts of light, I got a twin-tube 36" strip light from MOPS (about a hundred bucks I recall) then at Canadian Tire I bought a 36 watt "gro & sho" plant light" (about 15 bucks I recall) and attached the plant light onto the back of the strip light. I had to use some metal hooks to route the wires in the back of the strip light.

Mason:

I spend about 30 minutes every 2 weeks trimming and pruning.

As far as online plant trading, I live far away from any good retail source of plants. If anyone could send me a red tiger lotus (Nymphaea zenkeri) or Rotala Macrandra I would gladly send them an assortment of cuttings of all my plants.

smokinreefer
05-18-2003, 06:17 PM
oh the memories...
nice tank by the way.

my recently deceased 135 reeftank, used to be a java biotope tank, full of bog wood covered in java ferns and moss.

and i used to have a 45 plant tank, full of a mix of plants, had a school of 30 cardinals, 12 bleeding hearts, and a couple discus...quite the bioload, but being freshwater, it is just so easy to do huge water changes all the time.

man, i wish i had some pictures to share.

keep up the good work.

p.s.
do you have amano's books?
it is an awesome collection!

StirCrazy
06-12-2003, 04:17 AM
here is a pic of mine when it was in all its glory, now it is overgrowen and in bad need of a pruning.

http://members.shaw.ca/cyltic/temppic/Tank.jpg

Steve

Troy F
09-07-2003, 01:04 AM
Beautiful tanks. I want a planted tank. What's the cost compared to full reef?

EmilyB
09-07-2003, 02:38 AM
Will you have a treasure chest Troy? :mrgreen: :razz: :lol:

Troy F
09-07-2003, 02:56 AM
Sure, what's her name?

StirCrazy
09-07-2003, 06:02 AM
Beautiful tanks. I want a planted tank. What's the cost compared to full reef?

not to much at all, PC's work great as lights if you can afford them :mrgreen: substrate is around the buck/LB range (only need 2 or 3 inches) and plants you can get clippings from us who have lots for free :mrgreen:

now work wise, they are more labor intensive than a reef as if you want it to stay nice all the time you are trimming and pruning every few days, myself I just let mine get overgrowen then take the lawnmower to it once ever month or two now :lol:

Steve