PDA

View Full Version : Cleaning my sump

mseepman
01-31-2008, 04:46 AM
I built my own sump/fuge a while back and I am now facing the dilemma of how to clean it. I didn't do the deep SB in the fuge and so I am building detrius along the bottom of the sump. How do people clean their sump? I can't get a good siphon going since the sump is on the floor. I've also tried using an MJ400 and a hose on it's input to suck out waste but didn't get a good siphon either.

Any suggestions would be great.

fkshiu
01-31-2008, 04:55 AM
I use an MJ900 with the hose output placed into my filter bag that also happens to be in the sump so no siphon is required. I clean the sump every few months.

Johnny Reefer
01-31-2008, 05:01 AM
I vacuum it out with one of these...
http://www.marineland.com/catalog/productimages/HOTMagnum250_268.jpg
...using the micron cartridge shown.

HTH.

wickedfrags
01-31-2008, 11:42 AM
I trap all the junk before it gets into the sump with a micron sock! No reason siphoning should not do the trick. Would offer you some but I am sold out (until next week) :)

mseepman
01-31-2008, 04:30 PM
How do you use that to vacuum? I used to have something similar but it was passive on the end of a powerhead. It helps with the cloudiness of adding sand to a new tank but I'm not sure how else it could help?

I vacuum it out with one of these...
http://www.marineland.com/catalog/productimages/HOTMagnum250_268.jpg
...using the micron cartridge shown.

HTH.

christyf5
01-31-2008, 04:54 PM
ShopVac. Every 3 months or so my sump gets drained and shopvacced. Makes for an easy waterchange :wink: Then use a micron sock after that, you get way less detritus.

Johnny Reefer
01-31-2008, 07:53 PM
How do you use that to vacuum? ....
Not sure how to explain it other than just post a pic.
http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b355/1Johnny2Reefer3/IMG_1090.jpg
Does this explain it? Of course, the cartridge has to be rinsed out afterward. I do that in a bucket of water and then under the tap.

Cheers,

Okguy
01-31-2008, 08:30 PM
If you bought most of your setup from AJ's, I'm willing to bet you have a Fluval canister filter kicking around. I use mine to vacuum out my fuge when I do my water changes. Just take all the media out and suck it out into a bucket. It works like a charm.

HTH

Reefer Rob
01-31-2008, 10:16 PM
Has anyone tried a Python or something similar? I suck mine out with a MJ 1200, but the long stringy algae that forms in the high flow areas plugs it up very quickly. It would be nice to set up a suction hose that wouldn't plug with a scraper attachment.

mseepman
02-01-2008, 12:34 AM
Haha....You know...I do have a Fluval 404 from AJ's kicking around...haha. I will try that. Thanks for the advice.

If you bought most of your setup from AJ's, I'm willing to bet you have a Fluval canister filter kicking around. I use mine to vacuum out my fuge when I do my water changes. Just take all the media out and suck it out into a bucket. It works like a charm.

HTH

untamed
02-02-2008, 05:51 AM
Things live there....I would be vacuuming them away...Unless the system has developed a serious problem and I'm desperate to try anything to fix it, the sump is the filtration system and I try to leave it alone.